Installing other versions of OS X on a G5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by DJO, Dec 22, 2005.

1. DJO macrumors member

Apr 28, 2004
    (Original thread title: Exploding G5!)

Greetings from New Zealand!

I am wanting to Install other versions of OS X on my G5. It is currently running 10.4.3. Using iPartition I have created empty partitions to do this.
    I put in my Panther installation disk, and then selected it as the Startup disk but after restarting, the machine refuses to Startup from the disk, it starts whirring loudly and gives the impression that it is either about to take off or explode!

Am l am able to install older versions of OS X?

Why is it not letting me do it?

Any advice, hints or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers and Merry Christmas!

:) :)
  2. DJO thread starter macrumors member

Apr 28, 2004

Just trying to inject a little humour:)
  3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    Which G5 do you have? If it post dates Panther, you probably can't run it.
  4. DJO thread starter macrumors member

Apr 28, 2004

Machine Name: Power Mac G5
    Machine Model: PowerMac7,3
    CPU Type: PowerPC G5 (3.1)
    Number Of CPUs: 2
    CPU Speed: 2.7 GHz

aha, thankyou... therein lies my problem methinks,

5. RiseAgainst macrumors regular

Jun 10, 2003
    You won't be able to install an OS that is older than the version it shipped with.

Of course, if you were really daring you could install an older version on your PMG5 through target disk mode. I ussume some things would not work right and this could possibly hurt your system as older systems like Panther will not know how to handle some system functions of the newest machines.

i would not recommend this.
  6. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    It won't work. You can try a distribution of Linux that will work with your G5 and run Mac-on-Linux using an older copy.

[edit] Mac-on-Linux not supported on G5 systems. Sorry.
  7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Sorry, but I don't think you can install an OS on your machine any older than the one it had initially installed, someone correct me if I'm wrong. Due to some components, etc., I don't think OSes such as Jaguar and Panther would know how to react and work with them.
  8. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Usually you can't.

But sometimes it is possible to install an earlier version (well... at least "get it running").
    One example is the Rev B iMac G5: Shipped with 10.4.0. But as all the internal components were all supported by 10.3.9, you could install 10.3.9 on it by restoring a pre-installed disk image.
    It's all unsupported ofcourse, but sometimes it can work.