Installing Panther...(Clean Install?)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by JulesK, Dec 9, 2003.

1. macrumors 6502

I have two macs (800MHz 17" iMac; 12" Rev. B PB) running 10.2.8, and will be take the Panther plunge soon, although I may wait to 10.3.2. Are there advantages to doing a clean install rather the upgrade option? Will it be more stable in the long term?

Thanks in advance for your comments. If this is something that has been beaten to death already, my apologies.

2. macrumors 65816

Just do a clean install. It's cheap insurance.

3. macrumors regular

Re: Installing Panther...(Clean Install?)

When I first got Panther on Oct 24th I tried to just do the upgrade and as it worked it wasn't very good at it. I ran in to numerous of applications quitting and other small maladies. Then I believe on about Nov 17th I backed up and wiped the hard drive then proceeded with a clean install. It has been only about 3 weeks, but it is running spectacular! I couldn't be happier with doing the clean install.

4. macrumors 65816

If you don't use haxies you can just upgrade with no problem but if you have installed some haxie apps or done some hacks yourself I recommend doing a clean install.