Installing Panther - Dff btn upgrade and archive

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by plutnicki, Feb 23, 2004.

1. plutnicki macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    I finally decided to upgrade to Panther on my Powerbook (which has only every had Jaguar installed from the factory, nothing earlier). I really don't want the hassle of wiping clean and starting over, so it seems that archive and install or upgrade are my two choices.

I've never really understood the difference between the two options. It seems like either way, I'm left with a system running Panther and all my old apps and data are as I left them. Is that true?

I've done a search from the forum, and although I can find many recommendations, I don't see a good explanation of the difference.

2. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002
    Archive will copy all your files into a seperate folder and then install Panther from scratch.

Upgrade will install Panther over your previous OS, letting you keep your preferences, files, etc in the same place.

IMHO, if you want no hassle, do an upgrade. Worked well for me. Don't forget to back-up all your files first, you never know.
  3. varmit macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2003
    the difference

Archive will take your system folder as it is now, and put it away into an Old System folder, then Install a Fresh new Panther System.

Upgrade will just install into the system folder that is there now, and replace the files it needs too, which might cause problems.

I believe both ways preserve your settings, and applications so you don't have to go though the process of reinstalling everything, but upgrading has been known to cause more faults than Archive, so I would go with Archive.

This is how I think it works, if someone can confirm it so we have two opinions on this, it would make him and me happy to know I'm right.
  4. whocares macrumors 65816

Oct 9, 2002

I's say you're right *and* wrong:
    *archive does keep all your files and apps so you don't have to reinstall
    *archive does move your preferences to a different folder (old system folder).

The bottom line is, using Archive, you still have to do a fair amount of moving files around to get the system back as is was. Better than Archive, is to CarbonCopyCloner your system to another HD and do a clean install. The same amount of copy and paste + the advantages of clean install.

IMHO Hassle Free = Upgrade