Installing Panther on 8gb Partition???

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Sparky's, Mar 10, 2004.

1. Sparky's macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    I haven't heard of this but I want to see what the concensus is. I am upgrading our G3-450 (12gb HD) at work with a Sonnet ZIFF G4-800 CPU, an 80gb additional internal HD and Panther (along with various other software upgrades) My questions is that the instruction sheet that came with the G4-800 CPU says:

Important Information for Encoree/ZIF G4 Processor Upgrade Card (700 MHz or, faster), Users Recommendations for users about to install Mac OS X:

• If possible, update the firmware on every PCI card in your system before you install Mac OS X; in some cases,, your PCI cards may not be compatible with OS X unless you update the firmware. Check the manufacturers' web sites for the latest software.

• Install Mac OS X before you install the Encore/ZIF G4 card, and .verify it runs properly. This will help to ensure that potential issues will be resolved before you upgrade the hardware.''

• Read the Sonnet X Tune-Up and Mac OS X installer Read Me files before proceeding with your Mac OS, X installation. You will regarding system requirements and configuration that may affect you.

•When installing Mac OS X onto a' hard drive larger than 8GB in capacity, be sure to install OS X in the first partition of the drive, which must be 8GB or smaller. Refer to the Read Me files for more information.

Known Issues:

• Certain 256MB DIMMs (RAM) and certain hard drive models have been reported to be incompatible under OS X when installed in certain beige Power. Macintosh G3 computers. This is not a Sonnet issue.

• Certain third-party PCI cards, including some cards sold by Apple as upgrades, are not compatible with Mac OS X. If you encounter OS X installation issues, please.remove them and attempt the OS X installation again. Again, this is not a Sonnet issue.

I OCR'd this information directly from the sheet, so please excuse any spelling misses.

I can't believe that I would have to create an 8gb partion on the 80gb just to install Panther. Can someone back me up??
  2. wordmunger macrumors 603

Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Sounds like the firmware on the upgrade can't handle an HD larger than 8GB. 8 gigs should be plenty for your system. Many people put the OS on a separate partition, so it shouldn't be too big a problem. One thing I don't know: could you have your "applications" folder on a separate partition?
  3. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Jul 6, 2003
    Los Angeles
    Probably true. On the original G3s you have to have an 8GB partition for OS X. Not sure why, but you do. I had to do it on a 333 iMac and a few 233 G3 PowerMacs.
  4. Sparky's thread starter macrumors 6502a

Feb 11, 2004
    wordmunger, I installed OS X on my Blue & White at home but it was the early model that only had a 6gb HD so it was never an issue. I installed an additional 60gb Maxtor HD and placed my "Classic" OS 9.2.2 on the 60. I have the Adobe Creative Suite also on the 60 as well as most of my other apps. The only thing I allow to install on the 6 with OSX are those Utilities and other apps that don't give you the option of where to install them. I have not had any problems with anything so far. (knock on wood). I'll search the Apple knowledge base also to find out about the Firmware.

This is a late edit but this was an interesting article:

Thanks for the response