Installing Panther on iBook

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Wilson, Aug 1, 2004.

1. Wilson macrumors regular

I have a DVD disc of Panther that came with my Dual 2.0 G5 and I want to install that on my iBook that doesn't have DVD playback since it's just has a CD-ROM. Is there anyway I can do this still?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

No. Not possible and not a good idea if it was possible. First, it violates the EULA which says that you get to put that OS on 1 computer. Second, the installer will know the iBook isn't a G5 PowerMac and won't work. Lastly, if you did trick the installer into installing there have been a rash of bad experiences posted here in recent weeks about system specific installs doing bad things on the wrong system.

3. MikeLaRiviere macrumors regular

I suppose you could copy the disk image on your G5, and then attempt to burn the image across multiple CDs. However, a) you'll be violating the license agreement (i.e., your iBook's Panther will be unlicensed), and b) it might not work on your iBook. You see, these disks are typically restore disks, which may or may not be compatible only with the machine with which they are included. For instance, I know that the Apple Hardware Test program that comes on these disks is supposed to work only with a specific model.

Sorry to diverge so much. Give it a try and let us know how it goes.

Mike LaRiviere

4. Wilson thread starter macrumors regular

I don't think I'll do the upgrade then. Too much of an hassle.

Thanks for you help anyways.

5. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....should you decide to upgrade to 10.4 Tiger when it is released next year, keep in mind that Apple offers the "Family Pack" license where you can install on 5 computers in the same household (non-commercial only) for $199 (all this based on the assumption that Apple keeps the same price/license structure for 10.4)....it's a great deal if you have more than 1 Mac you want to install on.....oh yeah!