Installing Panther

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Josh Man, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Josh Man macrumors newbie

I just recieved from eBay an iMac G3. It has only a CD drive and no FW. I have an old Panther DVD. My friend brough his PowerBook. Is there like a target disk, but with cat5? Thanks
    -Josh

2. DXoverDY macrumors 6502a

target mode or whatever is only able to be done via firewire. not cat 5

3. iZach macrumors 6502

im aware. but how can i do it through either usb or cat5?

4. live4ever macrumors 6502a

Buy some Panther or Tiger install CDs. Or do that trade in Apple has for 9.99. You could also share the DVD drive over the network.

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

You can do this, but you can't start up from the shared drive, so it's useless for installing anything.

Pretty much your only option is to track down a 5.25" USB2 case and stick a DVD drive of some sort into it. It'll be painfully slow on the iMac's USB1 bus, but it should work.

...no, wait; can older Macs boot from USB? Perhaps not, so even this might not work. That would leave your only theoretical option being cracking the Mac open and tapping a DVD drive right into the IDE bus, which can work but is a mess at best.

A much better idea is just finding some install CDs. As far as legitimacy goes, if you have the install DVD you're good using somebody else's CDs even if you don't keep them.

6. California macrumors 68040

California

I'm not completely sure but when my pb's firewire port broke, I had to attach my pb to my mom's iMac through the ethernet port/with an ethernet cable to download info off the hard drive. I was able to open the powerbook through this connection, but now I cannot remember the details. I had to call Apple to walk me through the settings and do it. So I think you can connect via ethernet cables somehow.

7. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I think you used "connect to server" feature from "Go" from Finder's tool bar. Then, type in the address for your targeted hard drive (smb://192.1XX.X.X/). X is your own number for the targeted PC/Mac's address.

8. iZach macrumors 6502

hey guys, im josh mans friend that he was talking about
    anyway i helped him open his iMac and we took out the hd and put it insdie my pmac g3 b/w and i installed os x onto it there
    then we put it back in the iMac