Installing Parallels and Windows XP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shenandoah, Oct 7, 2006.

1. shenandoah macrumors newbie

Simple question, hoping to get simple answer.....

How complicated is it for a non-pro to install Parallels and then installing your existing Windows XP cd from non Mac computer onto Mac Intel Core 2 Duo?

Or is this something best left to the Mac Pros at the Mac store?

Many thanks! :)
  2. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    It is not hard at all, make sure that Windows XP cd is not tied to a specific brand of computer though.
  3. jsw Moderator emeritus

Mar 16, 2004
    Andover, MA
    Assuming you didn't buy a retail XP CD, that would be illegal....
  4. generik macrumors 601

Aug 5, 2005
    That is not true. A OEM disc will do, provided it is a new one bought specially for the Mac.
  5. shenandoah thread starter macrumors newbie

So, the Windows XP that came along with my Gateway will or will not work with the Parallels software and not be able to load onto the Mac?

In other words, I REALLY don't want to pay $179.99 for a Mac compatible Windows XP....

Also, I was told by the Mac pro at the Mac store for them to install Parallels would be $200 - heck - that's alot of moolah!
  6. Arnaud macrumors 6502

May 24, 2005
    The Moon
    You can install Parallels yourself, from the website, it's really easy and cheaper (80$), takes 10mn. But that is for Parallels only. I wouldn't advise to pay the Apple Store for that...

Regarding your copy of Windows XP, I can't say. It should be as easy as on a normal PC, if the website and the forums are right. Have you tried to install your copy of Windows on another (not Gateway) PC? Obvious question maybe...

And: I am encountering some problems with installing Windows right now on my iMac 24", but I guess there'll be an answer somewhere on the forums.