Installing PC Sound card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kitki83, Nov 20, 2006.

1. kitki83 macrumors 6502a

Hello

I had a hard time when connecting my microphone on my mac pro until i found out theres not mic connection and I will need to get external connection. My question is I got a decent basic sound card can I install it on my Mac pro and be able to run it fine in Windows XP but I dont care if it works in Mac OSX

Just wondering, I wonder if there are PC/Mac sound cards hmmmm?

Thank you

2. MacsAttack macrumors 6502a

So you can't use either the analogue audio in socket or the optical audio in socket on the back of the Mac Pro?????

You know - the ones underneath the firewire ports and above the twin Gigabit Ethernet ports???

http://www.apple.com/macpro/design.html

Don't think I've seen a PCI Express sound card on the market yet.

3. daveporter macrumors regular

There are a number of USB and FIreWire audio interfaces available that support both OSX and Windows XP.

Depending on your application and budget you can check out M-Audio for consumer and near-pro audio products and others like MOTU, DigiDesign and RME for professional level audio interfaces.

Search on Google for "USB audio interface" and "firewire audio interface" and you will find quite a few with just about any combination of features you could ask for.

Best of luck,

Dave

4. georjeeporjee macrumors newbie

your microphone issues

You don't need to get a second sound card to use a mic on the mac. My solution was to purchase a USB mic I purchased the Blue THX (about $100) and the Blue Snowball (about $40) Both of these work with no additional drivers for use. Simply plug and play. I use garage band to record. Hope this works for you.

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

There is no PCI-e sound card that works in the Mac Pro under OSX.

6. nanofrog macrumors G4

There is at least one professional card that does (RME HDSPe AIO).

7. Vylen macrumors 65816

Anyone else notice this thread is crazy old? ;p

8. CFoss macrumors 6502

Wow, you weren't kidding. This topic was posted around the time the first Mac Pro was released, was it not?