Installing PHP on Panther... HELP

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stevey500, Apr 4, 2005.

1. stevey500 macrumors 6502

K well, I want to use the popular PHP gallery program for my photography, I have used PHP before with a windows server I built... now I have a mac and I am trying to figure out PHP to run with the built in apache server, but im confused... I tried installing PHP 5.0.3 for apache 1.3 from Entropy using the package install method and the installation completed successfully... just to make sure it installs correctly, i restarted my mac after the installation completed... I tried accessing a few PHP pages on my apache server... no go!!, Just a page full of php text coding... so i tried installing PHP 4.3.10 for apache 1.3... STILL NO GO.. I dont understand this :( ... Im really confused. Can someone help me?? Thanks

2. Bear macrumors G3

Funny, Mac OS X comes with php installed. And Apache does seem to have php info in its config files.

Did you try using the supplied php components before trying to install others?

3. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Um, thats server buddy, the Desktop Mac OS X doesn't have PHP installed. But he does have something about Apache's files, did you edit them so they know to load PHP as a plug-in.

4. Bear macrumors G3

Umm, I'm not on a server version and I have php.

I checked before I posted.

5. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

Where? While we find out if php is default with the Desktop OS X, you need to edit the config files for Apache to point to your install of PHP.

6. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah I found out os/x comes with php.. and i edited to httpd.conf to use it, restarted the server........ no go...

7. link92 macrumors 6502

OS X Client comes with PHP 4.0.6, which is far to old for most perposes, I personally have Apache 1.3.33 and PHP 4.3.10 with GD support (Updating later today probably) compiled from source.

8. Bear macrumors G3

I'm running 10.3.8 and have:

$ php -version
    PHP 4.3.10 (cli) (built: Jan 23 2005 21:23:17)
    Copyright (c) 1997-2004 The PHP Group
    Zend Engine v1.3.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2004 Zend Technologies

as the version of php provided with "Desktop" OS X.

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

10. link92 macrumors 6502

Obviously they have updated it..

11. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yes, OS X 10.3 Client does come with a recent version of PHP installed.
    Here are some instructions for getting it enabled:
    http://aliandcedar.com/cedar/computer-stuff/enable-php-in-os-x/

Also, be sure you turn Personal Web Sharing (apache) off and on after changing the conf file, so that the changes take place.

Lee Tom

12. stevey500 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys, I got it running, i had to install apache 2.0 reinstalled php, perfect :)

13. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Looks like I'm a bit late for this one but I encountered a reasonable degree of frustration trying to get Tomcat and mySQL installed for Panther, mostly because I am not familiar with the configuration process for Apache. While most forums recommended running through the installation instructions provided on Entropy (which is a good source of information), I eventually found Server Logistics who provides free downloads of mySQL, Tomcat, Apache 2 and PHP4 as Panther Installer Packages. This has the advantage that applications are easy to install, all play nicely together (no need to configure Tomcat manually for Apache, for example, as it is done automatically) and also comes with System Preference control panels for turning these applications on/off without needing to open the Terminal.

Yeah, it's the easy way out but it got me up and running in an hour or so for all these applications.

14. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

you could save yourself all the trouble, and just turned on apache and installed the php program you wanted. ;)

15. MacTruck macrumors 65816

MacTruck

I just downloaded the latest build of PHP and of mysql and it all installed perfectly. The only thing I had to do on reboot was turn on personal web sharing in preferences and I am solid. Pretty damn easy. Running 10.3.8.