Installing printer

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fishy2k8, Dec 9, 2006.

1. fishy2k8 macrumors member

Hey everybody i have a question... i set up a hp color laserjet printer and connected it to a wireless router so that we could print from the laptop we have there and other people could print, board minutes, etc... anyway it's all set up and works on the windows laptop that is there. However my friend has an ibook and needed to print. i have the drivers on a cd but i dont know how to set the printer up, where to put the drivers, etc. Please help.. the printer is on a tcp/ip connection. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

I'm assuming that your friend opened up the printer setup utility on his ibook and checked to see if the drivers were already installed for that specific printer?

If not, the mac will need its own special drivers for the printer. Check the manufacturer's website - it should have drivers available for that particular model on all platforms that support it. Once you find the correct drivers for the mac, download it onto the ibook and the ibook will know what to do with it.

If the printer is mac compatible, there's a good chance that the cd you have has mac drivers for this model. If they're just windows drivers, though, they won't work on the ibook.

The best thing to do is to check out the manufacturer's website.

3. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Which model?

4. fishy2k8 thread starter macrumors member

the cd i have isnt what came with the printer, its just a cd with the mac bundle thing that i downloaded from the hp website. i put it on the mac but i don't know where to go and set up the printer for printing.

HP laserjet 2600N

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

6. fishy2k8 thread starter macrumors member

no she doesn't know how to do any of this, hence why i am trying to do it.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

ok, goto system preferences-> printer and fax, add a printer, input the info in the "IP printer" tab

8. fishy2k8 thread starter macrumors member