installing RAM on an imac G4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by QCassidy352, Apr 13, 2003.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I feel silly for asking this, but my brother has an old iMac G4 (700 mhz, combo) that he just got 256 more ram for (for a total of 512). But we can't install it...

Now, I've installed RAM in plenty of macs, but this just doesn't fit. It's definitely the right kind of RAM, bought retail and double checked, is clearly the right size, etc. But it won't quite slide in right, and the computer doesn't recognize it as being installed. Is there something wrong with the RAM slots on these imacs? Isn't the RAM supposed to just pop in no problem? I really can't figure this out. It seems really stupid, but the RAM just won't go in right.

thanks!

2. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

It would be tricky to do it yourself, but installing the SDRAM is alot harder than popping off the base and sliding in a SODIMM, so go to your Applestore and get the pros to do it

3. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

it goes in diagnol then you snap it down nice and snug, its not hard at all, quite easy actually, but if your scared take it to a reseller or apple store. prices may be higher since you didnt buy the ram wherever you take it to have it put in.

iJon