installing small gigabit network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shecky, Mar 19, 2007.

1. shecky Guest

shecky

i am putting in a super-simple gigabit network in my studio so i can access my soon to be built network storage box over a 1000mbit instead of 100mbit LAN.

i am bad at networking (figuring out the configuration on the NAS is gonna be a blast i am sure) but is my understanding correct (see image)?

will the switch (a 4-port netgear GS605) be specific in where i plug the cable from the router? also, my understanding is that the router (a linksys WRT54G) has a firewall to keep the NAS from being open to the internet (i know nothing is perfect, but is it adequate?)

i have the wifi as i sometimes like to get away from the desk; i understand that i will be limited in speeds to the NAS when i do this, but this way i can get the gigabit speed when i am wired up (i hope?).

anything else i should know? i do think i need to get a couple of CAT 5e or CAT 6 cables to get the full speed - i am not sure what my current cables are.

Attached Files:

2. Richard Flynn macrumors regular

If you set things up as in your diagram, then it will work just fine.

It doesn't matter which port on the switch you use to connect the network to the router.

Is your wireless router the new Airport Express Base Station? Is that how you're going to connect to your NAS? If so, then you won't achieve gigabit speeds with the NAS, whether your Mac is connected to the network wirelessly or wired—there is no gigabit ethernet on the new AEBS, and so the only way to achieve gigabit speeds is between devices plugged into the gigabit switch.

EDIT: just looked at the diagram again, and see that the NAS is one of the three devices (other than the router) connecting to the switch. So scrub my previous comment: if plugged into the network, and not connecting wirelessly, you'll achieve gigabit speeds communicating with the NAS.

3. shecky thread starter Guest

shecky