Installing snow leopard. Will it delete my stuff?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Wraz, Aug 24, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

just wanna be sure.

Cheers

2. macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

No, it will only delete your data if you do an Erase & Install. The default, to this dismay of many users, is upgrade and install.

3. thread starter macrumors regular

oh well that seems totally fair :D

4. macrumors member

As far as I'm aware as long as you have a good back up there shouldn't be an issue even with a erase and install. I think I'll attempt this using Time Machine when I get my hands on SL...

5. macrumors member

YES it will run run!!:eek:,. :p, am just playing no it wont:)

6. macrumors 6502a

opinioncircle

thanks it's going to save me some money for beer, i won't have to buy an external HDD

7. macrumors 6502a

nullx86

I lol'd at OP. As long as you do the Upgrade version, and not a "Fresh Install" you shouldnt lose your tuff, but it would be wise to run Time Machine before you back up your stuff.

8. macrumors 65816

I love the thing how spotlight will search faster in SLeopard and how Time Machine will backup faster, but-

Will the Time Machine saves in Leopard work in Snow Leopard? (Backward Time Machine save compatibility?)

9. macrumors 6502a

nullx86

Time Machine saves will work, you just have to remember to actually browse thru it and not restore it, because it will restore Leopard. Basically, Do Time Machine, Install SL, plug in yout TM disk and then go to your folder (username) and copy the obvious "Music, Movies, Sites, Documents" etc, and then copy what apps you want. DO NOT restore anything! doing so will f*** up your SLE folder and kill your SL install