Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
OK all, I thinking about getting away from crappy Windows for good but I have never even considered Mac before.

Can I install a Mac operating system on my computer which is presently running windows? Or do I need a Mac machine to use a Mac OS?

Thanx, PepeLapiu

galstaph

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2002
The Great White North Eh
You would need specific hardware and a hacked version of tiger (10.4.x) to get it to work on a pc.
Running it on a mac is not only recommended but the software and hardware are both designed to cooperate making for a much much better experience:D
Plus macs just look cool:D

rglatter

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2006
Arkansas
you need a mac(apple hardware) to run windows. that said some people have hacked osx to run on windows. I havent atemted it mabey someone has but this is highly illegal and probobly wont work very well.

Nuc

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
TN
You need to use Apple's computers to run OSX. Install XP using bootcamp or parallels.

Nuc

Edit: I need to learn to type faster.

padré

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2006

u will be needing a mac computer to run mac os X, you can however run mac os X on a pc but u would have to b e a good hacker, and it would be illegal, so go get yourself a nice mac computer :)

JDN

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2006
Lund Sweden {London England}
There is NO software or hardware designed to run Mac OS X on a PC. If you want to you will have to hack OS X and change stuff. This is very illegal, and stupid. Whay put a far superior OS or a far inferior machine?! There is no point, it will never run well.

Cooknn

macrumors 68020
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Myers, FL
PepeLapiu said:
And who would object to my using a Mac OS on a PC ..... Mac or PC?
There are hacks to get it installed, but the experience is not for the faint of heart. There are no video drivers that work correctly yet, either. Get a Mac Mini and enjoy something that works beautifully out of the box.

deputy_doofy

macrumors 65816
Sep 11, 2002
PepeLapiu said:

Apple has some safeguards in OSX to prevent it from running on a generic (Dell/HP/Gateway/Sony, etc.) PC. Sure, there are hacks, but they are just that - hacks. Things may or may not work as expected and, when that happens, you can't blame the OS (since you are using something NOT made for your PC). You're better off selling your PC, getting a Mac, and installing Windows on a partition of your Mac (if you want to retain some of your Windows apps).

Josias

macrumors 68000
Mar 10, 2006
When authorizing Mac OS X, you agree not to use it on non Apple hardware.

Also, it is illegal to discuss illegal stuff at MacRumors. This should be wastelanded.

mufflon

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2006
JDN said:
There is NO software or hardware designed to run Mac OS X on a PC. If you want to you will have to hack OS X and change stuff. This is very illegal, and stupid. Whay put a far superior OS or a far inferior machine?! There is no point, it will never run well.

not only that, but it won't be easy either!
So just go with the easiest solution - get a mac, so much beauty, so much charm - why wouldn't you :)
And as JDN said, it will never run well.

The only other legal alternative would be installing linux or reinstall linux :eek:

Josias said:
When authorizing Mac OS X, you agree not to use it on non Apple hardware.

Also, it is illegal to discuss illegal stuff at MacRumors. This should be wastelanded.

well the OP didn't know this when he created the thread (if he was able to or not), so I don't see any illegal activity, if anything it would be borderline :) - the answer this far has been "get the beauty rather than the beast - so much less fur and lice!"

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
PepeLapiu said:
Probably only you yourself. If you install Mac OS on your PC you will have lots of problems and configuration issues and you will not get access to normal OS updates from Apple that normally fixes bugs, improves performance and closes up security holes.

If you have a bad experience, it may put you off Mac OS X. If you want to experience Mac OS X properly, you have to do it on a Mac, or you can't really say you've tried it.

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
PepeLapiu said:

-PepeLapiu

Regardless of the legalities, to try to get OS X to run on a PC is so kludgy and a PITA that it is really not worth it. Actually, I dare say, there's no point.

Please consider what Cooknn mentioned, just save yourself a lot of pain and effort, get a Mac, then install windows on it. You're much more supported then (and legal).

EDIT: spling.

IlluminatedSage

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2000
you need to use apple computers. why? because with all of the system updates and improvements... they will maybe work with a hack.

but honestly, that is hard to do and additionally with the updates. any hack that is created will likely STOP working.

so... best bet, buy a mac and then install windows for the best of both worlds.

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
OK, here is my situation:
I am currently building a computer: I buy a motherboard, a PC case, a video card, a hard drive and so on and I assemble them into a computer and then I install an operating system on it.
This is how I'll always done it but so far, I have always installed Windows XP on every computer I have built.

So is there some things I can do during the building/assembly process to have my machine accept a Mac OS? Maybe I need a different motherboard or a different processor or a different way to connect them in order to make my machine Mac OS compatible?

And if what I am talking about is possible, would it be legal?\

Are there any Mac users here who built/assembled their own machine?

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
What you should all consider here is that I have no intentions whatsoever to buy either a Mac or a PC already pre-assembled for me.
I prefer to buy seperate components with each to my liking and assemble them to get a machine I like, it's not a PC or a Mac ..... it's a Pepe! :D

Now, I just don't know if there are any guys like me who build their own Mac system ..... I could not find any forum/sites of anyone builing their onw Mac system.

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
It's most definitely NOT legal.

It can be done, but hardware support is extremely spotty. You may find that your wifi doesn't work, or that you can only run your monitor at 1024 x 768, or stuff like that.

Finally, you have to obtain a copy of the hacked up OSX install, which no one here is going to tell you how to get.

At the end of the day, it's not worth it, unless you really just want to fark around just to see OSX run on a regular PC.

The best way to try out Mac OS is to get a cheap, used Mac.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
PepeLapiu said:
I prefer to buy seperate components with each to my liking and assemble them to get a machine I like, it's not a PC or a Mac ..... it's a Pepe! :D

Sorry, you can't do that.

If you want to have a Mac, it's going to be built by Apple.

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
madmaxmedia said:
The best way to try out Mac OS is to get a cheap, used Mac.
So I guess I am not going the Mac way .... too bad, I hate corporate MS with a passion and I was hoping I could still build my own system and get a different OS ...... oh well ........:(

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
OllyW said:
If you want to have a Mac, it's going to be built by Apple.

And the regular high end video cards that can be installed to the common PC, can they be installed to the Mac machine as well or the machine you buy is what you are stuck with?

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
PepeLapiu said:
So I guess I am not going the Mac way .... too bad, I hate corporate MS with a passion and I was hoping I could still build my own system and get a different OS ...... oh well ........:(

You still can run a different OS, there are loads of Linux systems out there which run on standard PC hardware and most of them are available for free.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
PepeLapiu said:
And the regular high end video cards that can be installed to the common PC, can they be installed to the Mac machine as well or the machine you buy is what you are stuck with?

The video cards are upgradable on the Mac Pro and the older Power Macs. There isn't the same choice of video cards though and the regular PC ones won't work.

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
OllyW said:
You still can run a different OS, there are loads of Linux systems out there which run on standard PC hardware and most of them are available for free.
Yeah, that is true and altho Linux is a very stable and safe OS, there are just too many progs that won't work with it.
Mac has that issue as well, but to a much much smaller extend.

Kalmia

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2006
Florida, USA
If you want to build your own Mac, buy a used Power Mac and upgrade all of the components yourself. It's not terribly hard, and there are still quite a number of options available to play around with.

If you're dead-set on a PC, though, try Linux. There's quite a varied range of programs available for it today, so it's a fairly painless switch.

~Kalmia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.