Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
madmaxmedia said:
At the end of the day, it's not worth it, unless you really just want to fark around just to see OSX run on a regular PC.
It'd be cool if Apple could come up with a demo version of OS X that could be run for free in the free VMWare Player utility.

I know a lot of hardcore Windows folks (that build their own boxes like Pepe) that would never dump any amount of money on a Mac "just to see" if they like OS X.

If there was someway to let them "kick the tires", they'd probably end up switching. Especially when they see some of the cooler geeky "hardcore" things OS X can do, like mount an ISO without a 3rd party tool, etc.

awhitaker

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2006
Actually with Apple going to Intel chips, there is a project out there called OSx86project that started with developers who got licenses from Apple. With the license, these developers got a Trusted Platform Module (TPM) with the intel-based machines Apple sent to them. This TPM has leaked out and can be found out there on the internet along with many build stories. With that said, it is illegal to build your own Intel-mac unless you have the license from Apple as a developer.

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
Dewd, you rock, you are a genius, and probably really good looking too ..... thanx dewd!

DXoverDY

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2005
PepeLapiu said:
Dewd, you rock, you are a genius, and probably really good looking too ..... thanx dewd!

I think you're going to find yourself extremely disappointed if you pursue this any further than merely dreaming. Don't say people didn't warn you. If you're dumb enough to try getting it to work, you're going to be dumb enough to not realize it's not going to replace windows for you. You likely will not have accelerated graphics which is almost a must these days, probably zero support for your burner, etc..

Just buy the freaking mac and get it over with. It's cheaper and you'll lose less hair over it.

Dane D.

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2004
ohio
PepeLapiu
OK, here is my situation:
I am currently building a computer: I buy a motherboard, a PC case, a video card, a hard drive and so on and I assemble them into a computer and then I install an operating system on it.
This is how I'll always done it but so far, I have always installed Windows XP on every computer I have built.

So is there some things I can do during the building/assembly process to have my machine accept a Mac OS? Maybe I need a different motherboard or a different processor or a different way to connect them in order to make my machine Mac OS compatible?

And if what I am talking about is possible, would it be legal?\

Are there any Mac users here who built/assembled their own machine?
What is it that stops you from buying a Mac? I realize people like yourself want to build your own but you can't do that with Macs. They want you to buy their hardware and OS so people like you don't ruin the Mac OS. Buy a used Mac, any desktop model and upgrade it. This will definitely be a much more enjoyable experience and just maybe convince you to drop Windows altogether.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Kalmia said:
If you want to build your own Mac, buy a used Power Mac and upgrade all of the components yourself. It's not terribly hard, and there are still quite a number of options available to play around with.

I second this. A G4 won't cost too much, but it will still be a great introduction to OS X. A friend of mine is borrowing my old G3 and he loves OS X, so a G4 would be even better :D

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
If you want a usable machine in the everyday sense, don't bother with the 'DIY PC running OS X'. I've tried it and quite apart from the legal issues, I don't think it's production-usable, even running on hardware that is virtually identical to the Apple equivalent.

On the other hand if you love doing things just because you think the idea is cool, I suppose you could try the illegal OS X hack for the hell of it. As an earlier poster said though this is not the 'real OS X deal' and opinions shouldn't be formed based on it.

Furthermore, while it does make some sense to choose an alternative PC vendor (support is a primary example) building a DIY OS X machine doesn't make sense for a number of reasons. The processor support is closely tied to the OS operation, which limits your choice of CPU's and mobos. The devices supported under OS X also limits your choice of hardware.

There are other reasons but before I start to pour too much scorn on DIY builders, since the reason you don't want to buy a Mac probably boils down to money / vs perceived performance of components involved I would agree with other people in the purchase of the used G4/5 Macintosh to get a native taste of the Mac OS.

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Just keep building your PCs and using Windows or Linux. Someday you may decide you want a laptop. Then get a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro. Since you can't build a laptop from scratch (at least I've never found a way to do it) you won't be missing out on the component selection and building. Since the MB and MBPs are capable of running Windows through Parallels or Boot Camp you can even use some of your Windows software as you ease into OSX.

This is my current path, albeit I'm still on a PPC based PowerBook which is the computer I use most but I have a pretty beefy PC at home if I need Windows programs or something that's going to be fairly CPU intensive.

SVG

macrumors newbie
Mar 13, 2006
atszyman said:
Just keep building your PCs and using Windows or Linux. Someday you may decide you want a laptop. Then get a Mac Book or Mac Book Pro. Since you can't build a laptop from scratch (at least I've never found a way to do it) you won't be missing out on the component selection and building. Since the MB and MBPs are capable of running Windows through Parallels or Boot Camp you can even use some of your Windows software as you ease into OSX.

This is my current path, albeit I'm still on a PPC based PowerBook which is the computer I use most but I have a pretty beefy PC at home if I need Windows programs or something that's going to be fairly CPU intensive.

Agreed with previous poster. I am not crazy about Mac Desktops, but I think Macs make great laptops. I build all my desktops and I duo-boot Windows/Linux on it. But for laptops, I really can't think of a better one than my MacBook :D

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
atszyman said:
Just keep building your PCs and using Windows or Linux.
I agree, I found there are some difficulties in finding at the hardware that would fit well for a PC running OS X.

One of the reasons I wanted something other than Bill Gate's overpriced piece of crap software is because I am anti-corporate to no ends ..... Linux would most likely be my best choice, both politically wize and practically wize.
I just don't like that Linux is so limited when it comes to application compatibility.
Dane D. said:
They want you to buy their hardware and OS so people like you don't ruin the Mac OS.
That is toyal BS .... once I get a computer, be it a Mac or a PC, they don't care if I shread the thing to pieces and feed it to my dog. All they really care about is that they get my money before I shread it. Corporation have a legal obligation to their share holders to make profit, they have no concern about the integrity and quality of their products. If they could figure out a way to sell you a product half as good for twice the price, they would gladly do it.
Not because it's Mac or PC or Enron or Raytheon ... because it's the corporate world baby!

PC actually manufacture their own viruses and their own security issues because it's good money to them ..... don't worry, once Mac gets where PC is, you'll suddenly see Mac viruses and Mac security concerns pop out of the woodwork.

Anyway .... off of my soap box and on with building my Linux machine now.

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
PepeLapiu said:
Corporation have a legal obligation to their share holders to make profit, they have no concern about the integrity and quality of their products.

Contrary to popular belief, some manufacturers do take pride in their products. If it was all about money, Apple would be selling Windows PCs that were bulky and had "Intel Inside" badges on them to get the famous Intel subsidy.

PepeLapiu said:
PC actually manufacture their own viruses and their own security issues because it's good money to them ..... don't worry, once Mac gets where PC is, you'll suddenly see Mac viruses and Mac security concerns pop out of the woodwork.

Stunning assessment of modern PC security problems.

PepeLapiu

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2006
dpaanlka said:
Contrary to popular belief, some manufacturers do take pride in their products. If it was all about money, Apple would be selling Windows PCs that were bulky and had "Intel Inside" badges on them to get the famous Intel subsidy.

So let me get this right: You think that corporate fat cats sit in their boardrooms worrying sick about the actually quality of their products?
I'll give you a little clue, if they worry about quality, it's because they think that quality will make them more money, it they start building crappy stuff, it's because they think it's going to make them ..... you guessed it: more money!

I'll give you a tiny example that isn't related to the computer business so you don't get too biased about it:
My son needs diabetic medications, 400$/month worth of meds really.
The pharmaceutics guys and the doctors tell us that the high price if the meds is due to the amount of research being done by the pharmaceutics corporations ..... I am sure you've heard this arguement before.
Turns out, the same corporation that makes my son's meds is also the learder in diabetese research today ..... are you agreeing with me so far?

There is only one fundamentally wrong thing with this picture: with at least a million diabetics in North America alone, if we judge they all spend an average of 400$/month, that would be a cash flow of 400$ million/month flowing toward the pharmaceutics companies.

Now, those very same pharmaceutics companies are also in charge of research for a cure to diabetese. If they ever find a cure, a one pill you can take and cure your diabetese, that they effectively loose that 400$ million/month cash flow ......... do you really think they are ever going to find a cure to diabetese?

Pharmaceutics corporations are viewed as the caring people. the ones that try really hard to save lives when in fact, they are plotting against our lives every day for a bottom line.

But don't believe me, next time they tell you your meds are just so expensive because of research, don't question them .....

dpaanlka

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2004
Illinois
You must find life miserable.

And, to repeat myself, yes I am quite certain there has to be SOME people in the corporate world that genuinely want to make advancements in technology, quality, etc... for the greater good.

EDIT: I can think of some corporate execs that I personally know and/or am related to. Thinking about your post even more, it's very ignorant.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
PepeLapiu said:
So let me get this right: You think that corporate fat cats sit in their boardrooms worrying sick about the actually quality of their products?

*snip*

Careful, you don't want to be too rude when you have few posts.

razzmatazz

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
Texas
A fellow mac head like me told me his dad turned his PC into a Mac OS running PC. He told me that the thing ran like crap like crashing and some things wouldn't run at all. Buy the Mac!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.