Installing Tiger clean...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sambront, Jun 17, 2005.

1. sambront macrumors newbie

What is the best way to install a clean copy of Tiger? I am currently running Panther, and I have some, but not alot, of data on my harddrive. Some documents, emails, etc.

Is the best thing to do just burn my home folders and library directory to CD, re-install the OS, then move stuff back? Or does OSX have a built in process to do this?

I've also read about creating a "disk image" and "archiving", but coming from a Windows world, i'm not totally sure what these things are, and what use they are.

What do you guys usually do when you do a clean install?

Thanks

2. varmit macrumors 68000

varmit

If you do the archive install, which is on one of the prompts when you start installing Tiger, you will do a clean install of the system, while keeping your user directories, and apps. This is the easiest and usually the most painless way to upgrade. If you want clean clean, as in no user info or apps left over, then backup all your work, and then tell the installer to format, initialize the drive, before installing Tiger. But then you will have to install all your apps again. Suggest archive install.

3. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

You should backup your work anyway as for me Archive & Install failed and I've read a few other posts where people have had problems, so I used the need to back everything up as an excuse to finally get that external drive I have always wanted. :)