installing tiger from a dmg

Discussion in 'macOS' started by virus1, Mar 1, 2006.

1. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

so i lost my sister's ibook install dvds, so i got a friend to send me a seeding key from apple's developer connection, so i can download tiger. the issue is, it is a dvd dmg, and i have no dvd burner.

is there any way to boot off a mounted disk image? i have an iMac G5, the ibook, another ibook, and a quicksilver powermac G4 to use.

thanks!

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

I doubt it. When you rebout the dmg will be unounted.

3. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

well it may be possible if i mounted it on another comp in target disk mode.. but then i don't know how i would mount it on there.

4. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    If you opened the disk image, it's screwed. You'll have to re-download (make sure you uncheck OPEN SAFE FILES, and LOCK the dmg when you downlaod it to prevent accidetnal mounting), drag to an ipod and set it in disk mode, and install off of that.

5. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

i haven't opened it yet, but i don't have an ipod w/ firewire. just a shuffle and a 5G

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

If it'll work with an iPod, it'll probably work off the iMac G5 in target disk mode, no?

7. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Yes....in a way, but not the iMac in FWTDM, the other computer.

If you take the disk image, put it on the iMac, uncompress it so you can open the installer. Then, boot the computer you're installing on into FWTDM (it's HD will appear on iMac desktop) and launch the installer on the iMac. When it asks which HD, select the computer you're installing onto, not your internal one (not that it would let you anyway since you're booted off it) and let it install.

Only downside is that your iMac G5 name or whatever will carry over, but you can change that in Sys Prefs>Sharing>Change computer name to what ever they want.

I can't see doing it the other way working where you boot the computer with the DMG into FWTDM, because it won't be mounted. If you mount it on the computer that you're installing on, when you reboot, it won't be mounted anymore....I don't think you can do it that way, but I KNOW you can do it the way I described above.

Good luck!

8. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

sorry im an idiot, but what is FWTDM?

edit: nevermind.. firewire target disk mode..

9. virus1 thread starter macrumors 65816

virus1

well as stated before, if you do that, when it reboots to start the installer, it will dismount. i don't see how that would work.