Installing Tiger on a 19 gig HD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by JW8725, Sep 17, 2005.

1. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

Hello just aquired a 19 gig HD, was wanting to install a fresh copy of Tiger, do i have enough space? How would I do this? Do I just slap in my Tiger disc or do I have to make this boot drive and boot from disc?

Thanks

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

19GB is more than enough, just slap it in, and select it when you run the instal (might have to partition/format it).

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

You can also save some space by not installing all the additional languages and printer drivers.

4. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry im a complete noob at this:

1. Slap the Tiger disc in, it says to restart

2. Restart and choose the 19 giger?

Thanks

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yep. But it will erase that drive completely...

Take your time, explore all the options as they are presented to you as you go through the process.

6. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

ok update:

I'm now on the PC :(

Mac has this map of the world icon flashing on startup. The Tiger disc wont come out. When I was installing after reboot there was a big red exclamation mark on the 19 giger saying i couldnt install tiger to it??

Help!!

7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

I've done it on a 11 Gig HD, so I don't forsee any problems for you.
    I did a clean install (after backing up) and unchecked a lot of the printer drivers that I know I'll never need. I don't remember what I did with the languages...

Enjoy, a fresh install is like a whole new Mac. It whizzes! (Even on a G3 500!)
    Now, if I could only figure out what I need to install again, I would do it to my iMac G4...

8. belvdr macrumors 601

You need to partition that 19GB disk. Boot from the CD again by holding C when the bong happens. After the installer comes up, click the Installer menu and select Disk Utility. You will then want to partition the 19GB drive.

9. JW8725 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hi i partitioned the HD to 19 gig as you mentioned. I still keep getting the below screen. This HD isnt SMART compatible, maybe that could be why?

[​IMG]

10. macrlz9 macrumors 6502

macrlz9