Installing tiger on a bronze powerbook G3

Discussion in 'macOS' started by ahmadof, Jul 8, 2005.

1. ahmadof macrumors member

has anyone done this? I have a bronze G3 400 without firewire. I don't think it is supported, but i don't think panther was either and it is working really well. I think i may have maxed this laptop out. I have no other reason to upgrade other than it's new; everthing works well in panther for me. i just wanted to know if it can be done.

2. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Try it, you could always put Panther back on!

3. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

Ive got tiger on my powerbook 333 bronze keyboard

BTW panther was supported.

i use a nice utility called xpostfacto, it allows you to install OSX on unsupported macs.

LINK TO XPOSTFACTO SITE HERE

4. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

Sure, It can be done... but what kind of performance are you wanting to get from it?

I recently replaced the HD in a 400MHz G3 iMac. I had a choice: Tiger or Panther. I chose Panther. Tiger seems like too much of a system hog to run smoothly on that computer.

However, if anyone has experience to the contrary, I'd love to put Tiger on it.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I think Tiger runs faster than Panther, especially on pre 500mhz G3's.

6. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

It does run faster than panther, but because you have to use xpostfacto, boot speed is really slow.

7. joetronic macrumors 6502

I did. I needed to update to every version of 10 before It would let me boot to tiger. I even had to put 10.1 before 10.2, and so on. it does run better then 10.3, but I had to get rid of dashboard, it was hogging all my memory

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

How exactly does xpostfacto work? Do you install it under Panther and then it lets you install Tiger? What if you want to reformat the HD before installing Tiger.

9. ahuman7341 macrumors regular

it needs os9 booted to be used, im not sure how it works but i think it makes the computer lie to the install disc and tells it it fits the requirements of the operating system. but im not sure.