installing tiger on a g3 900 mhz ibook?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by way2l84sanity, Sep 28, 2006.

1. way2l84sanity macrumors member

I have an ibook G4 And my dad has an ibook G3 900mhz with 256 ram. he needs tiger to run program that won't run on his 10.2.8 OS. If I use my G4 ibook install disk to get him to tiger is there any problems i might run into?
    Will the G4 install disk install tiger properly, and should i register it with apple?? Because I will still be using my ibook with tiger on it , until leopard comes out. and if i don't register it will he be able to get updates?:confused:

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

It's not legal and it most likely won't let you install OSX. The discs that came with your iBook are licensed only for your iBook. Sorry. :eek:

3. apunkrockmonk macrumors 6502a

apunkrockmonk

Retail copies of Tiger are cheap as hell on eBay... like under $50 in almost all cases I believe.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Shouldn't make a difference in this case. It's not so much that it's licensed to the iBook but it's meant to install the portable components on the computer that are necessary for Tiger to run. Technically speaking, you should be able to install Tiger from these discs onto another computer without any problems. I would go deeper into how to do it, but I'd rather play it safe as it probably is illegal.

5. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

I think it's impossible and I know it's illegal. Install discs only work on the model that they came with.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Warbrain has a point; it is quite possible to get an OS that was bundled on one machine to install on a similar machine, but that doesn't make it legal. Also, I'm pretty sure it won't be possible to use the normal insert disc + press install route.

7. way2l84sanity thread starter macrumors member

Thank you all !!! for your insight and help.

We solved my dad's problem, he wanted to use garage sale to put a lot of stuff on ebay (he has been off of work for 9 months with medical problems) but garage sale needs 10.3 or higher to install. I thought I could help him cheap with my install disk but thought it was illegal and it wouldn't work. He couldn't use safari and ebay's software because it wouldn't communicate, safari was missing a webkit that he couldn't upgrade to. A tech from the apple store suggested that he could download firefox and it worked. :D He will probably buy tiger on ebay and get garage sale soon.

thanks again

8. Macmadant macrumors 6502a

sorry to bring up an old thread, but that is totally not true, i installed Panther using a Powermac G4 DVD on an iMac G3, with no problems

9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apple placed more restrictions on their bundled versions of Tiger.