Installing Tiger on a iMac G3

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by saba, Feb 20, 2007.

1. saba macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2006
    Im curious, is it possible to install Tiger on a iMac G3 with you iPod. Im in the process of selling it & i want to do some maintenance on it, so that its nice & speedy. Can i install Tiger using my Ipod Nano 2G? If so what is the process of going about doing so?
  2. MacDude415 macrumors member

Feb 19, 2007
    San Francisco
    Yes, you can install Tiger on your iMac G3, but I'm not understanding where the iPod comes in.

In order to install Tiger on a G3 you must buy Tiger and send it to apple with 10$ to do a media exchange for CD's. The reason for this is that OS X 10.4 ships in the DVD format and the iMac G3 does not read DVD's. If you have a DVD reader or firewire or whatever just buy, load, and enjoy.

Tiger Media Exchange Form
  3. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    MontCo., PA
    The question is *which* iMac G3? Does it have firewire or a DVD drive? if not, it isn't a supported machine and will require some hacking to work.
  4. davidjearly macrumors 68020

Sep 21, 2006
    Glasgow, Scotland
    It won't require any hacking at all, and providing it is 350Mhz or greater, having 15GB HD or larger and 256MB ram or more, it will run Tiger. The higher these specs are, the more pleasent using Tiger will be.

There are many ways to put Tiger on a non-firewire, non-DVD capable iMac G3.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    You know of course, that it would not be legal to sell it with Tiger if you didn't also provide the buyer with the original Tiger DVDs that the OS was installed from.

If you are selling it, just erase and reinstall the OS that comes on its factory disks.
  6. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    MontCo., PA
    Tiger is officially supported by G3 and faster machines with Firewire. If it doesn't have it, the installer will quit when it does it's check for bad machines. You'd have to create a disc image of the install DVD, remove the computer you're installing it on from the bad machine list, and then burn the image to DVD. There's a app called xpostfacto that will help with this. Another option is to remove the hard drive from the iMac, put it in a firewire enclosure, and install it using target disk mode from an accepted machine. That's how I ended up doing my iBook.
  7. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2006
    BTW: No Nano is going to support FireWire these days any longer, so A FW install is out of the question...

However, I have seen a friend of mine do an install via Target disk mode with a firewire cable and another (DVD equipped) mac.
  8. saba thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 24, 2006
    OK....these are the specs;

iMac G3 600Mhz
    40G HD

So installing Tiger using a 2Gig Ipod Nano (2nd Gen), should that be a problem???
  9. ickystay macrumors regular

Sep 3, 2006
  10. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

Jul 22, 2002
    MontCo., PA
    Read the post above yours. You'd need a Firewire iPod for it to work. Your easiest method is to plug it into a DVD equipped Mac and boot your iMac in Target Disk mode to install.
  11. MacDude415 macrumors member

Feb 19, 2007
    San Francisco
    I explained it in the second reply. The iPod thing makes no logical sense.
  12. licoricepizza macrumors newbie

Jan 24, 2008
    Yes it's possible with an iPod.

To install 10.4 on an iMac G3 without a DVD drive you will need the following;

1. A Mac formatted iPod (min 3Gig free space) with Firewire cable. (I used an old iPod mini 4Gig).
    2. iMac G3 with Firewire socket ad OS 10.3 installed (last to be shipped on CD).
    3. A second Mac with 10.3 installed, a firewire connection and a DVD drive.
    4. OS 10.4 install DVD.

This is useful if you have an old G3 at home, but use a more advanced computer at work.

Step 1.
    Insert the 10.4 DVD in the second Mac and connect your iPod via Firewire. Let the computer mount both.

Step 2.
    Now go to "Disk Utility" in the Utilities folder (MacIntosh HD/Applications/Utilities). Click on MacIntosh HD once on the left hand side, options such as First Aid, Erase, Restore etc. will appear on the right. Select "Restore".

Step 3.
    Drag the DVD information (Mac OS X Install DVD) to the box marked "Source", and your iPod information to "Destination".
    Click "Restore".
    This can take 15 minutes or more.
    [if this fails at this point, check your iPod is Mac formatted, it won't work on PC formatted iPods].

Step 4.
    Now, take your iPod to the iMac G3 and connect via Firewire. Let it mount. Close all other applications.

Step 5.
    Go to "System Preferences" and choose "Startup Disk" in the System section. Choose "Mac OS X.... on iPod". It should be obvious which one it is. Click "Restart".

Step 6.
    The G3 will take a bit of time to start up, but you will be welcomed with the language selection screen after a minute or two, installation can then proceed as normal.

And that's it.