Installing Tiger on G4 tower

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jbrown, Feb 9, 2006.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2002
    Been trying to install Tiger on my friends oldish G4 tower system ( I think its 450mhz and 256mb ram )

The computer boots fine from the Install DVD - and the installation seems to go well - but after its finished and reboots - its loads the grey page with the apple logo.

After a while on this page the apple turns into a grey circle with a diagonal line through it.

Any thoughts?
  2. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Have you tried updating the firmware on that machine? I'd make sure it was updated to the most recent (4.28f I believe) To do this, get into OS9.1 or higher, go to apple's website, download the G4 firmware update and follow the instructions. It has you like reboot holding the programmer's button on the front. Make sure that while you're in OS9 to reformat the hard drive completely using the disk utility. Your drive should be clean because after you're done with this stuff you're going to want to run the tiger install again.

After you've updated your firmware, get into open firmware by holding down apple+option+o+f and type the following lines:

that should automatically reboot your machine afterwards.

so after your machine reboots successfully back into OS9, throw the Tiger install DVD back in and boot with the C key as usual and you should be good.

I had a similar problem recently with a G4 of mine and fixed every problem it was having by following these steps. Good luck!

edit: heh, and I'm not even a certified apple technician! :D
  3. Daedalus256 macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2005
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Bump, I'm really curious to see if this fixed the problem.