installing Tiger on new hard drive...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by proverbs, Sep 26, 2005.

1. proverbs macrumors 6502

just got a new HD for my cube and was wondering how i get Tiger installed on this thing. i booted up the computer holding down the option button, but neither the HD or the DVD came on the screen. am i doing this right?

2. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Try holding down C to boot from optical drive.

Once you have contact with the installer DVD you can format the HD (if it's properly connected). The easiest way should be to do a clean install, but you would be able to perform some advanced options like partitioning etc., if you need that for some reason...

3. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

i held down C this time and it went to the white screen. on the top it says "can't OPEN DISK" and "Fell through". it's on the "to continue booting, type "mac-boot", and to shut down, "shut down". i'm guessing this means i didn't install the HD right?

4. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

ok...i set the hard drive to master and put the Tiger DVD in, but i cant install tiger because no hard drive shows. what would i be doin wrong?

5. yenko macrumors 6502a

Not sure......but....try removing the pins, or compare the pin setting on the old drive. :eek:

6. proverbs thread starter macrumors 6502

i can't believe i didn't look at my old hard drive for reference. i will do that right now. thanks.