Installing tiger on second machine

Discussion in 'macOS' started by huntaaar, Oct 5, 2006.

1. huntaaar macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2006
    Hi, I just bought an iMac last month complete with Tiger 10.4.7 . I also have a duel processor G5 about two years old currently running Panther 10.3.9 . since I have paid for my new tiger discs I wanted to upgrade the OS on my G5 but the install discs wont work and it just crashes and gives the “panic were hanging here” line. It also says “unable to find driver for this platform “Powermac 7,3 . any ideas about how to make this work? Is it illegal or something?? Surely not I’ve paid for the damn thing! Any help would be greatly received.

2. wakerider017 macrumors 68000

Sep 20, 2006
    US of A

You CAN'T do that!

Posting that on public forums in NOT a good idea.

You can only install OS X on one computer if you got the single installation version. (Which is what comes with new computers)

Besides I think those install discs will only work on iMacs...

You are stealing from Apple... So if I were you I would go to the store and buy a legit copy... It is really not that expensive...
  3. reflex macrumors 6502a

May 19, 2002
    The copy of OSX that came with the iMac won't work on a PowerPC mac. That's the reason you get that error.

If you want to run OSX 10.4 on the other computer, you'll have to purchase it separately.
  4. huntaaar thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2006
    Thanks Apple, let me have a look if my student loan spreads enough for that?..... looks like im running Panther! Buying two computers from them isn't enough i guess.
  5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    This is exactly the same with Windows. The copy of OSX (or Windows OEM) that comes with a computer is licensed for that computer only. If you buy a retail copy of OSX it's licensed for a single computer only too unless you buy the 5 license family pack.
  6. yg17 macrumors G5

Aug 1, 2004
    St. Louis, MO

You have an iMac and a dual G5, I think you can stop being such a cheapass and buy Tiger. It's only $70 if you're a student
  7. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

Aug 20, 2005
    Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
    Leopard will be out in the spring(hoping) so just hang out with panther and get to know him/her a little better then upgrade.

You'll have tiger and leopard in the end...good stuff:)

8. gnasher729 macrumors G5

Nov 25, 2005
    You paid for _one_ copy of MacOS X to be run on _one_ computer. You are trying to install it on _two_ computers, which would necessarily mean that you are making an illegal copy of the software. Making a copy for backup purposes would be legal, but that is not what you are doing. It is debatable and depending on the laws of the country you live in whether or not it would be legal to install MacOS X on a different computer _after_ removing it from the first Macintosh, but as long as it is on the first Mac, installing it on a second one is absolutely, one hundred percent illegal.
  9. huntaaar thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2006
    UK with student is £80 thats about $150 but whatever.
  10. discoforce macrumors 6502a

Jan 27, 2004
    Vermont, USA
    Yes the upgrades can add up, and it can be annoying to switch back and forth between slightly different versions of OSX.

Rather than attacking you for piracy, I commend you for posting here for help and being open to the idea that it might be illegal. Folks are fairly touchy on the topic around here, so I hope you won't take some of the more accusatory responses too personally.

Most software is only good for a single machine, operating systems included. So now you've learned, and no harm no foul.