Installing Tiger OS X on PowerBook G4

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ara1700, Jul 28, 2005.

1. Ara1700 macrumors member

i want to install Tiger on my powerbook G4

powerbook g4 specs

CPU speed 400 MHz
    Memory 384 MB
    bus speed 100mhz
    9.4 GB hard drive

here is the question is it worth installing Tiger on it, should I buy more memory or buy new powerbook

i'm thinking i'm going have issues with Tiger after installing it

please advice

2. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

The only real issue here is the size of your hard drive. I'd recommend getting it upgraded to at least a 40GB, otherwise it'll all be a bit much for the system. The 10% rule is a good one to follow (basically, keep at least 10% of your HD's formatted capacity free at all times). Unfortunately, a 9.4GB hard drive is, as they say on the street, t3h lame!!1!. The RAM's not really a problem - what do you use your PB for? It should certainly be snappy enough for regular apps, but if you're into video editing or the like - unlikely given the size of your HD but you may of course have external storage - it obviously won't be up to it.

As for buying a new PB, if it was me, I'd hang on for the Intel PBs, but that's only because I like being on the bleeding edge. If you like the current ones you may as well go for one - I think this is the fourth or maybe even fifth revision to the G4 line so this is probably as reliable a machine as you'll get. Hope that helps :)

3. Ara1700 thread starter macrumors member

4. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Are you running Tiger/10.2 at the moment, or OS 9? If Tiger runs OK then Tiger should be the same or better, at least in theory...

5. Ara1700 thread starter macrumors member

im ruining OS 9.2 and OS 10.2

im going to re-partition and combine all three drives i have

into one 9.4 GB

6. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

Bleeding is what you'll be when you buy a Rev A Intel PowerBook. Probably through your ears. ;)

7. Ugimom macrumors newbie

If you can afford a new PB, then go for it--you've certainly gotten your money's worth out of this one. But if that cost is a concern or would result in a long delay, then I'd say install Tiger. I've got an old 550Mhz TiBook, with a 20GB drive and 768MB RAM. Over the years, I've upgraded it from OS 9 through 10.2.x, 10.3.x and now 10.4.2, and it runs Tiger just fine. It doesn't scream, obviously, but neither do I find myself taking coffee breaks while it catches up. [I do mostly word processing, spreadsheets, and of course, web surfing including research.] Personally, I'd skip upgrading the drive, and if you need the extra Gigs, just get yourself an external FW drive--cheaper, easier, and you'll still be able to use it when you do get a new PB. But I'd definitely consider bumping the RAM up.