Installing Tiger Over Jaguar on new Hard Drive! Help?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by atomiton, Apr 11, 2006.

1. atomiton macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2004
    I'm finally installing Tiger (OSX 10.4) on my Powermac G4. It has 1GB of Ram.

I have a question though:

I bought a new hard drive that I want to put 10.4 Tiger on, but can I just install it to THAT drive (It's much bigger)

I don't know the best way to proceed.

Currently, the big drive is set as the slave, because 10.2.8 Jaguar is on it.

Any advice?
  2. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    So, you have a Power Mac G4 with 1 GB RAM, and two internal drives.

One smaller one, which is set to master and has Jaguar installed, and one bigger one, set to slave, which is now empty?

If this is the case, you can simply install Tiger on the big drive, by selecting that drive during the early stages of installation.
    You can't miss it.

That way you keep both OS'ses in tact, and you can choose form which one you want to boot.
  3. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2004
    Okay, I was under the impression, that you had to have the OS on the Master Drive... and I figured I'd be upgrading the OS.

I'll try it!

SO, I won't have any problems erasing Jaguar off when I'm done with it, right? I can just wipe the drive when my data's off it, so I can use it for Backing up my data.
  4. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY

In my Power Mac, I never mess with the jumpers in the HD...I just leave them in cable select and they seem to work.
  5. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2004
    I'll have to check that then. I believe cable select means that whatever the cable gets to first is master, right?

edit: Sorry all for my ignorance. I'm fairly new to the Apple world of upgrading.
  6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
    If possible, you should install the "slave" drive on it's own IDE controller, rather than as a slave on IDE1.
  7. atomiton thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 23, 2004
    I don't think Powermacs come with two IDE Controllers, though, so I'd have to buy it correct?

edit: I mean, I know there are two... one is being used for the DVD Drive... so do you mean they should be on the DVD's IDE Cable, or buy an additional IDE Controller?