Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I am having a VERY hard time installing this damn OS.

OK to prepare, I must admit, I did the wrong thing. I used Carbon Copy Cloner to make a clone of my iBook HD onto my external firewire. Then I put in the Tiger DVD and did an Erase and Install.

So it installs fine, and gets to the migration assistant. Ok, so I can either install it from another Mac, or install it from.... another partition? ok so I try both of those and of course, it doesn't find my disk image because it never gave me a chance to mount the damn thing. So I create my user and finish up the installation.

Then I mount the disk image finally and go into the Migration Assistant. It sees the image and has no problem with it. So I tell it to import me and my wife's users and hit Go. And it says "No"

You see, I made the mistake THIS time of using the same user name (because, duh its only my name.) The assistant flat out refuses to replace the user. Oh the option is THERE, it's just grayed out. Great. So I can either putz around with copying my stuff over on my own or I could just reboot and reinstall again. Silly me, I try to reinstall.

This time the installation process is not going as well. I've done it 4 times. Every time the DVD stops spinning at the very end of the install and it tells me it needs to do it again. Don't know why, but now Tiger is really starting to tick me off. I really want to play with it too.

Well hopefully I'll eat my words, the blue progress bar is almost at the end. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Next time I buy an upgrade it'll be 10.5.1

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
On your second attempt to install, did you make sure to unplug your FW drive again? Perhaps try...resetting the PRAM and NVRAM and definitely erasing and installing.

FWIW, too, I wonder if you couldn't have created a new user with a different name the first time around, logged in as that user, and then deleted the user whose name matched your old account...not that this helps now. :rolleyes:

But ouch, I'm sorry, that sounds really frustrating.... :( But look at it on the bright side. Even had you waited till 10.4.1 was released to order, they would probably still be shipping 10.4.0 DVDs that use software update to get to 10.4.1. :D

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
mkrishnan said:
On your second attempt to install, did you make sure to unplug your FW drive again? Perhaps try...resetting the PRAM and NVRAM and definitely erasing and installing.

FWIW, too, I wonder if you couldn't have created a new user with a different name the first time around, logged in as that user, and then deleted the user whose name matched your old account...not that this helps now. :rolleyes:

But ouch, I'm sorry, that sounds really frustrating.... :( But look at it on the bright side. Even had you waited till 10.4.1 was released to order, they would probably still be shipping 10.4.0 DVDs that use software update to get to 10.4.1. :D

True. Well as far as the DVD spinning, I noticed after a few more tries that it stopped spinning while trying to install the HP Printer Drivers. Now I don't have an HP Printer but I was planning on buying one, so I had left that package selected. I deselected it and it installed fine.

This time when the installer asked me for my user name, I put in a dummy name ("Startup User") and now Migration Assistant is happily shoveling over my data. Here's hoping!

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Umm.. create a new temp admin user (or root), erasing the original one, and THEN use migration assistant?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
It took me most of the weekend, but I manually separated out all the files I wanted onto my Firewire drive, did an erase and install, and manually put everything back, including reinstalling software.

A pain in the butt, but it prevents pains in the butt like this.

I don't know how to tell you to fix it, but good luck.

flyguy451

macrumors regular
May 3, 2005
I guess I must be too trusting but all I did to install Tiger was open the box it came in and slap the dvd into the drive and push the easy install button. Done. No problems at all. 12" PB 1.5

buryyourbrideau

macrumors 65816
Mar 1, 2005
Chicago
flyguy451 said:
I guess I must be too trusting but all I did to install Tiger was open the box it came in and slap the dvd into the drive and push the easy install button. Done. No problems at all. 12" PB 1.5

i can definetly second the easy upgrade method :)

DavidLeblond

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 6, 2004
Raleigh, NC
I should have done an upgrade, but EVERY review I read (well almost every review) said that its best to do a clean install especially if you have application enhancers and the like, which I have a few. So I did a clean install and that migration assistant asked if I wanted to copy over my applications. I said "sure" stupidly, and it copied over all the application enhancers including PithHelmet for Safari which rendered Safari absolutely useless.

So I found PithHelmet and threw it in the trash, and now Safari works. Only now I can't empty my trash all the way because apparently PithHelmet is still in use.

Otherwise, Tiger is working wonderfully!

ksz

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2003
USA
I was going to follow the same route, clean install. Started CCC, began backing up my HD onto an external 250GB FW drive, but noticed 20 minutes later that CCC had frozen...it copied many directories, but froze midway. Fine, I forced-quit CCC, deleted the aborted backup image, and started again. Twenty minutes later, same thing.

With more than 40 minutes wasted and the clock nearing 10pm, I decided to abandon the clean install and go for an Upgrade. I skipped the DVD Verification step (couldn't wait) and let the thing have at it.

Result: Installation completed in 30 minutes, no problems. A few issues came up (e.g. Virex, Safari preferences file, etc.) after the install, but nothing of any real significance.

I fired up CCC after install to create a new "restore point," but discovered that CCC hangs while performing a user authentication (maybe I need to delete its pref file and try again). Anyway, I ordered Data Backup 2.0 by Prosoft Engineering. I prefer to have a current, supported product for creating backups. Not sure if CCC will be updated (hasn't been updated in 2+ years AFAIK).

A blessing in disguise?

berkleeboy210

macrumors 68000
Sep 2, 2004
Boston, Massachusetts
I'm buying Tiger Tomorrow, and had a quick question. - I have a 12" PowerBook with all of my Music Software on it for school (Garageband, Soundtrack, Digital Performer and Logic). and of course all of my iTunes Music and Pictures in iPhoto. If I connected this powerbook via firewire to my iMac G5 and copied those specific files over to the iMac, and then did a Clean install on the PowerBook, Should I have no problem when I go to copy those files back on to the powerbook after the installation is complete?

Thanks guys

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.