Installing Tiger without DVD

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Kinseek, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Kinseek macrumors newbie

I got lucky and received a pre-order of Tiger early, but alas I do not have a dvd-drive on my iBook. I`ve read that Apple will allow you to send in your DVD and get CD`s back for some money, but I`m impatient and won`t succumb to that...

So the question is if it is possible to install Tiger on an iBook without using dvd, or cds for that matter I guess. I have access to two iBooks, both with firewire. Would it be possible to make an image of the DVD on a pc with a dvd and copy it to one of the ibooks and mount it there, then put the other mac in target disk mode and run the installer from the other one while running OSX? Or is there a way to personally make cds out of that DVD? I`ve heard some rumour that you can even use an ipod to boot the ibook with (I might be able to borrow an ipod if that is the solution you come up with)

Any help in installing Tiger on an ibook without DVD would be appreciated...

2. shorty116 macrumors member

i heard it's possible to use your ipod the following way: open disk utility and click on the restore tab. now you can choose a source and a disk to restore it to. drag the dvd to the first field and your ipod to the second field and click restore. when done, startup pressing option key so you can choose your ipod as the startup disk and begin installing. you have to connect your ipod via firewire as usb booting is not supported afaik. dunno if this also works with a second ibook in target mode, and don't know if you have to erase the destination you are restoring tiger to (ipod). i would recommend trying it first without erasing the ipod and look if you can boot from your ipod with tiger restored to it...

report if it worked

3. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Dude why did you by Tiger on DVD if you don't have a DVD drive?

Do you not know anyone with an external DVD drive that you could borrow for the installation?

4. meanmachine macrumors newbie

I have done just that with OS X 10.3 (still waiting for Tiger....)

What I did was use my other mac and use Toast to make a copy of the DVD. Then do not burn a new DVD but save the image as a file. Put teh file on an external HDD and hook it up to the iBook without the DVD. Then you can install as if from DVD...

it is that simple.

meanmachine

5. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

I booted off of my ipod to install Panther, I don't see why it wouldn't work for Tiger.

Yes it is a bit tedious, but it worked fine for my Digital Audio.

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Dude, you have to buy it on DVD and then send in the coupon for CDs. They don't sell the CD option separately.

7. MacRy macrumors 68040

MacRy

Which answered my question perfectly and had I thought about that a bit longer I could have probably saved us all from an asinine post. :)

Cheers Wordmunger.