Installing Tiger

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by greenguy4, Apr 19, 2005.

1. greenguy4 macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    Hey All-- Just a quick question before the 29th arrives!!!

So when I install Tiger will it automatically transfer and keep all my old files and settings? Is it worth backing everything up or anything? I know I should always have a backup of my harddrive but is their any more reason to do it now?
  2. MisterMe macrumors G4

Jul 17, 2002
    Your old files and settings don't have to be transferred because they don't go anywhere. As for backing up, it is always a good idea. MacOS X 10.4 will not change that fact one way or another.
  3. joecool85 macrumors 65816

Mar 9, 2005
    I plan on backing everything up because i want to blank my hd when i do the install. other than that it gives you the option of how you want to install it, check apple's website, it talks about that problem specifically.
  4. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    well then i guess my question is what is the best way to backup my hard drive...I have a ibook but with no dvd burner...
  5. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Even if you had a DVD burner, that wouldn't be my reccomendation to backup (and don't use Apple Backup either!)
    First step is to get an external HD
    Then I would boot from the Tiger CD and Duplicate your HD onto the external one.

How would other people do it? I'm very curious? (Without specific applications etc) I know permissions and the fact that a lot of the files are in use during normal operations gat in the way...? :confused:
  6. greenguy4 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    why boot from the tiger cd? Why not just back up the drive?