Installing Tiger

Discussion in 'macOS' started by zellin, May 3, 2005.

1. zellin macrumors regular

I am going to install Tiger soon, and I was wondering about the 'Upgrade' option. I would just like to verify that this will not delete any of my files and everything will work fine after.

2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

I would reccomend the archive and install and check off, to keep your network and home folder intact. This methad also saves your application folder and only replaces the new applications such as mail2 and etc. Then the rest of the system is kept in the previous system folder. Keep that folder for a month or two to make sure the new install is successful.

Hope this helped.

3. mcmav37 macrumors 6502

I'm not really ready to debate the merits of upgrade vs archive and install, but I can say that, in theory, all of your files should be fine with the upgrade. I haven't found any problems yet, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't still back up any important folders. I backed up basically my entire home folder to my external HD. You should probably do that no matter which installation technique you are gonna use.

4. wayney macrumors newbie

I've learn to never upgrade a major OS version. Same with Windows, you will experience a lot of problems. Just backup and do a clean install. I'm reading a lot of these topics with people having problems with Tiger and I'm guessing they did a upgrade instead of a clean install. I haven't had any problems yet except that you probably should defrag after finishing installing the os and applications.

5. zellin thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you for all the help. Just to make sure: I should''t lose any of my files with an archive and install? Thanks again!

6. emw macrumors G4

emw

Shouldn't and won't are two different things. Always backup, because strange things can happen.

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

When you archive and install, all of your files will either be imported into the new system (your home folder, and I think, your /Library folder), or will be put in a folder called "Previous Systems" in the root of your hard drive. You can then go poking in there for whatever you want, and delete it when you're convinced nothing of value remains. Right now, I've deleted most of it, but there's still about 4GB of stuff in there, that I'm waiting to see if I need, sadly, but temporarily, putting a strain on my HD's free space. :(

EDIT: What emw said is absolutely true. In order of safety:

- most safe = backup of full hard disk, i.e. carbon copy clone, + erase and install
    - extremely safe = archive and install without copying users
    - very safe = archive and install with copying users
    - mostly harmless = upgrade :)

8. zellin thread starter macrumors regular

Again, thank you guys so much. One more question, will Archive and Install 'archive' my Apps folder?

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

Just your system folder. Your apps will remain as they were, except for installation of updated ones for Tiger.

10. flyguy451 macrumors regular

Well, I guess I'm the exception to the rule. I've done several OS upgrades over the years, and just did Tiger, by just slapping the new disk in the drive and pressing the big "Upgrade" button. Never had a problem. The only precaution I usually take is to record my network/ISP type settings. With my Tiger install I forgot to record them and everthing still went fine. Maybe I'm just lucky...?

11. egsaxy macrumors member

error

I installed Tiger just fine on my ibook and a full install on my external hard drive but can not upgrade (already taking head of above posts) nor can I archive and upgrade (or whatever that option is) i keep getting an error message that says to try back later. I only experience this with my mini hard drive. I'm going to try again tomorrow. Any ideas on what I can do?