Installing Toast without Classic

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by cleo, Jun 9, 2002.

1. cleo macrumors 65816

cleo

Oh hell. Last week I did a clean install of OS X and wiped the drive. I didn't reinstall OS 9 because I have never used it and won't be buying any programs for it. So today I'm reinstalling all of my software, and, well... I've hit a snag.

Toast Titanium 5.0 (the CD) installs in Classic, and then you have to run the updater to make it OS X-native. So what do I do? I have no classic, and I think it's retarded to go install an entire OS just to install a program I'm going to immediately upgrade. What should I do?

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Any reason you don't want to use Apple's Disc burner? I've got that one on my machine and it works fine.....

3. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

What do you mean?

Oh oh. Use the OS disc burner instead of Toast? No way. Toast does VCD's, super-easy incremental backups, and loads of other cool stuff. Wouldn't give it up for anything. If that's what you were suggesting.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Yeah, that's what I was suggesting. I had a compatibility issue with toast and disc burner, but since I was just using it to burn regular CDs I didn't really care. Let me know if you get it figured out, I might need to do the same thing....

Thanks,
    D

5. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Have you considered carracho?

You own the software you would be downloading, so it's not illegal.

Just a thought.

6. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

My suggestion is pretty much the same as Britboy's. If you only have the one mac, then I would just snag a X-ified copy off of Hotline or Carracho. Or copy it off another mac if you have access to one. At the time they released the X upgrade for Toast, they (Roxio) promised the next release would have a native X installer on the CD, but waiting for that seems ridiculous. I would, however, write a nastygram to Roxio about not releasing a downloadable X intstaller that uses the actual program from the CD. (I.e. you download the installer, it asks for the CD and does the installing and upgrading all at once) Especially now that X is the default OS, I think it is a bad PR move to require you to have that 'other' OS around just to do installs. Let us know how you work it out!

7. cleo thread starter macrumors 65816

cleo

Doh! You guys are brilliant - didn't even think about that. So I just got the X version of Toast off of my iBook (I love Airport :)) and all is well. I am going to email Roxio, though... this is crap. I'm just glad I didn't have time to reinstall X and kill 9 on my iBook at the same time that I did my iMac, or else I would've been even more annoyed!

Thanks for the help. :D

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I had similar issues when I redid the drive on my 500MHz TiBook, but found a fast work around. I had moved most applications onto my external firewire drive, and found it a snap to just move it onto the new drive. A true drag and drop installation. I have since updated Toast on my new TiBook to the latest version (5.1.3). I believe that I installed Toast on this TiBook the same way (drag and drop from the external).

I found that I like Toast much better then the Apple cd burning software. For one thing, with Toast you can stop the verification process. For another, you can easily make a multi-session cd with Toast. Their support of cd-rw and dvd-rw disc's is [currently] better then what Apple offers.

9. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

cleo and airport!

Hi cleo, its seems that you have airport and transfered files via it from another computer in your home.
    I have airport, and a Ti and iMac, I would liek to transfer files tween them via airport is that possible?

10. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Re: cleo and airport!

Couldn't be simpler. You can use AppleTalk if you want, or type the IP address manually to connect to a separate machine. Just turn on File Sharing and you're set.:)

11. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

sorry if I sound stupid, it was bound to happen! :)

Ok, i went to network pref, turned on file sharing, no what?

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

For OS X, use the "Connect to server" option under the Finder's "Go" menu (Cmd + K) and enter the IP address for the machine, or browse for it under the "Local Network". When you try to connect it should prompt you for a username and password. Just enter the username and password for the machine and you're set.

For OS 9, it's pretty much the same thing, only using the "Chooser" instead.

13. Falleron macrumors 68000

Falleron

I have thought about going just OSX as well! However, I cant because many things need to be installed in 9. I just dont get how I am ever suppose to go OSX only? Games such as Q3 are going to need to be installed in 9, then updated for OSX. There is no way around it. This annoys me somewhat. :mad:

14. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Falleron,

That is one of the reasons that I don't see OS 9.x going away any time soon. There is still too much software out there that has not [yet] made the switch to being OS X native.

I would hope that game developers release updates to allow their software to run under OS X. It can't be too hard, since Oni was released for both OS 9.x and OS X on the same cd. That was back when the public beta was out. They have since released updates to fix the issues that cropped up, and it runs quiet well under the latest version of OS X (I tried it under 10.1.4 last, I will soon confirm that it still behaves under 10.1.5).

Start messaging the game companies and tell them to get on the ball and release OS X native versions of their software. At least everything released from 2000 forward. Maybe if enough people message them, it will happen.