Installing Vista

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Killyp, Jun 20, 2006.

1. Killyp macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    Hi there.

A friend of mine has just tried installing vista on his PC, to no success. What would have been good was if it had not bypassed boot.ini and let him back into Windows XP. He was stuck booting into an operating system which didn't work. He couldn't change it without going into Vista, so he was kind of stuck.

Anyway, he managed to remove the hard disk the OS was on, and when he tried to format the Vista partition, it just came up with an error: "could not format, BAD drive"

In fact, when he tried to remove the partition, it said it wasn't a proper partition and therfore couldn't remove it. Even the "good" partition couldn't be modified, it could be read, but not written to and not formatted. He has ended up with a useless 400 GB hard disk, which has cost him a lot of money.

The morel of the story: Don't install vista on either Mac or PC.

Apparently it's rubbish even when it does work...
  2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

May 27, 2006
    Miami, FL
    Here's a major hint, it's a frakking beta right now. It's beta!!! As in not the official copy but the currently in progress copy. :rolleyes:

I hear people have off and on installations of Vista, even on a Mac. My experience was ****. :mad:
  3. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Well, I installed Vista on my mac and I am generally happy with it. The GUI is much better than XP, and my games actually run FASTER (once I installed the new catalyst drivers).

Installation was no trouble, provided you knew what you were doing.

My one issue standing is that I cannot get my FW drive to mount propery. I made a post in this forum recently, and am still after help.
  4. Killyp thread starter macrumors 68040

Jun 14, 2006
    But still, bypassing boot.ini? What were they THINKING? It's going to be like this in the final version. Loonbins...