Installing win xp on a new harddrive

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by l4t13, Nov 22, 2006.

1. l4t13 macrumors regular

Hey guys,

I was doing some repair on my aunt's pc, the harddrive was messed up and wouldnt boot. So I replaced it with a new 120 gb drive. How to I install the new OS on it?

thanks.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In general, stick in the XP CD, reboot to boot from the CD (you may need to change some BIOS settings to make it boot from CD), and follow directions.

Many PCs however don't ship w/install media so you may only have a "recovery" disk or the installation files may be on the dead drive. If you can't find install media, you may have to spend an extra $90 on a new copy of XP Home OEM.

More info on what it is you have would be useful.

B

3. l4t13 thread starter macrumors regular

i have an install disk and code for windows ME

id like to put that on there for now

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

The ME disc should be bootable too, but if the PC is older the BIOS might not even be able to boot from CD. In which case you'll need a boot floppy (e.g. from http://bootdisks.org)

B

5. l4t13 thread starter macrumors regular

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Depends on the machine. Typically hit F2 or ESC or DEL just after the POST beep and poke around in the menu for boot devices. As I said before though many older PCs lack the ability to boot from CD, which means you need to boot from floppy w/ CD support and run the installer that way.

B