Installing windows games on a FW HDD?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Kingsly, Jun 12, 2006.

1. Kingsly macrumors 68040

I just got my replacement external HDD (other one had a bad FW controller) and am eager to load some games. I have partitioned it as follows:

20 GB MS-DOS
    130 GB Mac OS extended (journaled)

I am going to install the nesecary drivers for Windows... but is there any particular way I should install the games? (I know how, but I want to make sure there isn't any trick I need to know about :eek: )

Also, I just want to confirm... FireWire DOES have enough bandwidth to run games, right?

2. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

Okay, apparently XPee does not like installing programs to disks other than the boot disk. I was able to install on the boot disk and then drag it over to the FW drive... so far all the games start and run fine. Oh well... :eek:
  3. Nar1117 macrumors 6502

Apr 15, 2006
    well to address your first question, FW does have enough bandwidth to install games on, and i do not know why XP wouldnt let you install on an alternate disk... Did the game's installer let you choose the FW drive? Or was it windows itself that didnt allow it?
  4. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

I tried three different games and they let me install but would suffer a fatal error about halfway through. Strange, eh?
    The install and drag to the HDD trick worked like a charm though, I actually just finished playing battlefield 2 a few minutes ago! :)
  5. jamesmcd macrumors 6502a

Feb 18, 2006
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Does this work perfectly? Firewire 400 I mean. If so, I would uninstall my games from my disk. Taking up way too much space, and I have a spare 7200rpm 80GB drive here.
  6. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

It works PERFECTLY. And yes, its FW 400. There *may* be a few extra seconds added on to loading times, but I am yet to notice an major difference.
    just navigate to the programs folder and grab the game folder (ubisoft, activision, etc.) and drag it to the FW drive. delete the original folder and fix any shortcuts you may have.
  7. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

Jul 26, 2004
    Montreal, QC
    I have a 80 GB internal drive and a 250 GB external USB, so I run all of my games from the external. Works like a charm. And if USB 2.0 has enough bandwidth, FireWire 400 certainly does.
  8. desenso macrumors 6502a

May 25, 2005
    I run Toca Race Driver 3 off of a USB2 HDD (5200 rpm). Works perfectly.
  9. Kingsly thread starter macrumors 68040

USB 2.0 technically has more bandwidth, it just doesn't use it as efficiently. Anyways, glad it works for you! :)