Installing Windows ME with VPC

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Drumroller182, Nov 21, 2003.

1. Drumroller182 macrumors newbie

i've got some issues with installing windows ME onto my Mac PowerBook G4. I downloaded Virtual PC (illegally, but i only need it for one operation then i'm getting rid of it, dont like the thought of windows tainting my machine) anyhow, i borrowed a cd from my brother who has a PC and got his Windows disc. (it is the CD that came with his Dell, it's like a backup for reformatting or something) anyhow, when i go to install windows (running from the cd on VPC) it goes through the steps and comes to a decision i have to make that i'm unsure of. It asks me to exit setup (windows install setup) or continue and REPLACE MY CURRENT OPERATING SYSTEM. now, i'm running DOS 2000 on VPC, when it asks me that question, if i were to say yes, would it replace Mac OSX or Dos 2000?

thanks to whomever might assist me

2. Drumroller182 thread starter macrumors newbie

P.S.> i'm in no way a VPC expert, so if this has a simple solution, please explain step by step how to do this... unless i can just say continue... thanks again

3. Drumroller182 thread starter macrumors newbie

oh one more thing (my apologies for all the posts) you can instant message me to discuss it if you'd like Drumroller182 is my name

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

First of all, it won't touch Mac OS X. VirtualPC uses virtual drives, which are just files on your computer. VirtualPC can in no way affect anything on your computer, so don't worry about it in that respect. Also, about your decision to install Windows ME, I'd think twice. ME is widely regarded as one of the poorest releases of Windows. If possible, I'd try to get 2000. It runs very well. I think Win98SE would even be a better choice. Also, I don't know if your copy of ME will install. I've tried to install bundled copies of Windows on other computers, and the installer recognizes it's not the computer it was bundled with, and won't install it. Either way, good luck.

5. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I've successfully installed a Dell-bundled copy of 98 into VPC. The newer releases of Windows might be different though, haven't bought a Dell since 1998.

Actually, that's a lie. Just bought a Dell Inspiron a few days ago, but it hasn't arrived yet. I need to run stupid proprietary Windows software :mad:

6. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

ME....Worst OS.......EVER!!!

*Points a thumb MoparShaha's way* I'm with him on this. Worst OS ever. I kid you not. Its was a marketing release of Windows designed to maintain the cash flow between 98 and XP. They did such a poor job or more accurately threw such crap into the release without debugging it that you will be lucky to go a month before something breaks. If you can get your hands on 98 I think its legal. I believe MS's licenses are backwards compatible at least in corp realms they are. So an XP license is compatible with 2K and NT. And a ME license is compatible with 89SE, 98, and possibly 95.
    If you need a copy of the media for 98SE PM me through macrumors.

7. mikepctp macrumors member

OH MY GOD!!!!

Never load Windows ME into a mchine you wish to actually use for anything other than a doorstop or a personally-tossed projectile.

I must agree with Silicon and his thumbs-up backer... lose ME and find some other load like 2000... PLEASE!

I have VPC on my Mac running XP... awesome... there are no substitutes for the Mac OS but XP is the best try yet.

MHO.... MP

8. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Agreed that ME is crap--even by Microsoft standards. But to answer your question, yes--tell it to replace your current operating system. You're just going to overwrite a DOS that you won't use anyway--or can access from within Windows anyway.

9. ITR 81 macrumors 65816

Get W2K if your going to get a Windows OS. Me has been probably the worst OS MS has ever put out.

10. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

HA you bought a Dell.

Anyway back on topic I'd stear clear of Win ME, I used it for ages and couldn't for the life of me get my DVD player to work. It is a pretty crap release and was ment to be the poor mans version of Win 2000 (I know windows 2000 is not a win 9x opperating system.)

See if you can find a copy of XP Pro, that's a much much better opperating system.

11. Drumroller182 thread starter macrumors newbie

I realize the.... Crapness, of ME, however i only need it to run one thing, then i'm getting windows off my computer alltogether, but thanks for all the help people, i appreciate it.

12. ethernet76 macrumors 6502a

Most PC vendors that include OSes include a specific OS that only works for that computer. Reason? That way they don't have to include 10000 drivers and instead can limit to what's on the PC. Answer, it probably won't work with the CD you have.

13. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Technically, it's really my mum's, I tried to sell her my iBook instead but her software only runs on Windows :(

Anyway, Dell had the best deal, free memory upgrade and comparatively big hard drive. Total price AU$1775.

14. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

I just like building my own computers, now others pay me to build theirs:D Hence I'm not a big fan of the major PC companies eg: Dell, Gateway, Hp/compaq, etc... I like to have ultamate control over what goes into my system, and how the operating system is set up, etc...