Installing windows media.sitx

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by AP_piano295, Jul 5, 2005.

1. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

After downloading windows media player from downloads.com I tried to install the program but when I click on it I get a message telling me to chose an application I am new to osx so I dont know what to do here please help im sure its something simple.

*note-I did try to expand the download but it says that it is not a compressed file so I dont think that is the problem.

2. croshtique macrumors 6502

A .sitx file is a StuffitX compressed file. You'll want Stuffit Expander to decompress it.

3. gangst macrumors 6502a

Have you got Stuffit Expznder installed in your Aplications folder (may be in you Utilities folder, found inside the Apps folder)? If so select that and then you'l be able to install Windows Media Player. If you don't have it go to http://www.stuffit.com/mac/index.html and download the trial.

4. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

i do have stuffit expander installed on my computer.... i couldn't find it on the macintosh hd under apps but spotlight found it instantly.

when i open expander and click expand from the file menu then select the file from the desktop it tells me that the file does not appear to be compressed or encoded....

whats my next step?

thaanks

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Try downloading it again from http://www.mactopia.com (Microsoft's site).

Make sure your OS meets the minimum requirements.

6. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have a brand new imac G5 so system requirements and os requirements arn't relevant...

i tried downloading it from where YELLOW suggested but i got the same thing (.sitx which stuffit expander claims is not compressed and if i just double click the icon it asks me to choose an application but i don't know what to choose)

I am lost and need some help

thanks.

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

8. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks alot... turns out I had version 6 or some old thing and the new version of stuffit works fine

thanks for all ur help