Installing Windows on 1TB Fusion Drive

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ImperialForces, Dec 31, 2012.

1. macrumors member

I'm not sure how to put this, but windows fails to install when I attempt to use boot camp on my new 27 inch iMac. Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks

2. macrumors member

EPiCDiNGO

How are you installing it from usb iso?

3. macrumors 6502

As in partitioning a Windows partiton?

4. macrumors regular

iLondoner

Well, try with some more information for a start. What steps have you undertaken, what happened at each step, any error messages, which version of Windows, what spec iMac... :rolleyes:

5. thread starter macrumors member

I am using a superdrive and the new 27 inch iMac, 1TB Fusion drive. I'm trying to install windows 7 ultimate via bootcamp, but once bootcamp restarts the computer for windows to install, I see the dos interface with only a blinking line - the line you see to mark where you are on a document.

6. macrumors member

Make sure your copy of windows is the retail version. The Oem, student, etc versions typically will display this blinking cursor forever and a day, there are work arounds, but you'll have to google the solutions...

7. thread starter macrumors member

It's an authentic copy

8. macrumors member

Hmm, have you let the screen with the blinking cursor sit for a long time? I mean like an hour? and see if it will proceed...

9. Stooby Mcdoobie, Jan 1, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2013

macrumors 6502a

Stooby Mcdoobie

The new iMac doesn't come with an optical drive, right? And, from what I've read, the Windows installer doesn't play well with external disc drives. Best course of action may be to have Boot Camp Assistant create a bootable Windows thumb drive.

Insert your Windows disc and open Disk Utility. Click New Image. On the window that pops up, choose DVD/CD master as the file format and click ok. (This will create a .cdr file.)

[​IMG]

Then open Boot Camp Assistant and check the box beside Create a Windows 7 install disk.

[​IMG]

You may need to change the .cdr extension to .iso, but I think BCA will recognize the file as is.

10. macrumors 6502a

Try holding down Option (alt) before the Apple logo shows and select your Windows disc in the SuperDrive.

And backup any important files in case you end up doing something wrong.