Installing Windows XP on a Mac Mini Core Solo

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Hugh, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Hugh macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Okay, I've read the threads and re-read the threads and I am a bit confused. :confused:

I am thinking about installing Windows XP on my MacMini CoreSolo, and was wondering if I have the info correct.

There is video drivers for the MacMini's and they work, as well as Ethernet ,and Sound drivers (for External use via Speaker out/Digital port).

That's all the drivers I care about right now for the Windows Install, I just want to run one game on the Windows side and that is Star Trek: Amarda.

Thanks!

Hugh

2. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Help with blessing the efi file.

Okay, I am on the Mac side and I typed the following:

sudo cp xom.efi /System/Library/CoreServices
    <password>
    cd /System/Library/CoreServices
    sudo bless --folder . --file xom.efi -setBoot

Then I get the following error message:

Error while getting file ID of xom.efi. Ignoring

I thought my download was bad so I re-downloaded, and re typed in the commends but now I get too errors:

cp: xom.efi: No such file or directory
    Error while getting file ID of xom.efi. Ignoring

Okay what did I frack up here? :confused:

Thanks for any help! :D

Hugh

3. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

When you download the efi file. Place it in your home folder. Then bless it. That will copy it and bless it all in one.

4. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

If you are not experienced in the terminal, use XOMHelper. You can learn more about XOMHelper here:
    http://forum.onmac.net/showthread.php?t=362

Steve

5. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Drivers

Yeah I found that, and was able to get past that. Now I am having trouble with the drivers. I was able to install the chipset driver and ethernet driver.

I installed the sound driver but I didn't get any sound though the earphone jack (nor the internal speaker). Are other people getting the sound to work with normal speakers or with ditigal speakers/USB Speakers?

Then I ended up trashing windows trying to figure out how to install the video driver. I read the instructions and re-read the instructions but I kept getting 'Finding new hardware' boxes and it wanted to install another video driver that didn't work either.

I didn't get to try to install the airport driver so I don't know if that works. But I have to amit I was impressed with the speed of the unit. Every thing 'seem' faster then my Celeron D 2.8mhz machine.

So any help on the Sound and video drivers? :D

Hugh

6. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

I don't have a Mac Mini so I'm not sure, but you may want to try http://forum.onmac.net or on IRC irc.freenode.net #winxponmac for help.

Yikes! I sure hope its faster than your 2.8MHz machine!

Steve

7. Hugh thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hugh

Hmm..

Well I ment to say is Celeron D 2.8GigHrz machine. LOL

Thanks for the link I asked my question over there as well. Now if I could get this video thing working, I will be happy to play my two games that I'm just waiting to play. Star Trek: Armada (1 and 2) and Command & Conquer: Tiberia Sun

Thanks!

Hugh