installing WMP on mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dirtskier, Nov 22, 2006.

1. dirtskier macrumors newbie

so I've got a brand new iMac and need Windows media player for streaming video for one of my sports packages (so yes, dont flame me for not using quicktime)...

either way, when i download the mac version, it tells me that it does not know what program to use to open the downloaded file "windows media.sitx"

...so basically, what am I supposed to use to install this

(new mac user here)

2. dirtskier thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, edit: I downloaded the flip4mac and installed it sucessfully, but I still cannot get the video I want to play... javascript:mediaPlayer.play({w:'mms://a1503.v115042.c11504.g.vm.akamaistream.net/7/1503/11504/v0001/mlbmls.download.akamai.com/11504/2006/open/gp/11/111206_cup_nerhou_gp_350.wmv',w_id:'5452',catCode:'mls_game_tv',type:'v_free'})

anyone have any idea how to get it to work...?

3. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

You need to download Stuffit Expander from here:

http://www.stuffit.com/mac/expander/

EDIT: Not sure as to your 'new' problem :D but I would advise you to still download Stuffit Expander as you will encounter .sit files all the time for various things. Its the first thing I install on my macs. Just wish OSX had stuffit support built in like zips.

4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

There is no way to play the latest (WMV 10 and 11) format files which are DRM encrypted on a Mac. This is Microsofts fault as they won't release a player or the specs to let someone else write the required Codecs. If these streams are in that format you are basically out of luck.

5. jpcos macrumors newbie

Can you post a link to the page? As posted, I can't get it to play on XP.

6. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

I had the same trouble as the op, this stuffit, it will open anything or just the windows media?

7. NJuul macrumors 6502

Stuffit expander decompress files compressed with... Stuffit! :)