Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

surfstarchris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
I wanted to know if anyone knew whether or not I could install XP with Boot Camp using those back up CD's they give you with your PC.

Anyone? Thanks.

iBookG4user

macrumors 604
Jun 27, 2006
Seattle, WA
It depends, sometimes the disks require a special partition that the PC manufacturer puts on there to show that it is made by that company.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
I wanted to know if anyone knew whether or not I could install XP with Boot Camp using those back up CD's they give you with your PC.

Anyone? Thanks.

Aaannnddd... in virtually all cases of bundled Windows, the license is tied to the machine it was sold with, and under the End User license, cannot be transferred to another machine -- even if the original machine is broken or decommissioned.

Why is it so restrictive? Because MS gives the manufacturers a huge break on price to preinstall windows under those conditions. Think about it. How can HP offer a machine for $499 retail with a $149 operating system included? Because you don't get the full retail OS.

SDDave2007

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2007
Actually I was told my Microsoft Customer Support, that you "own" a license to use XP [or whatever version] on one machine, there was no stipulation as to how it was purchased [retail vs oem], as long as the one machine was disabled or decommisoned, the OS could be installed on another, as long as you have the proper product key.

So yes, you can use an OEM install disk with the proper product ID code, and if it says that the install count has been exceeded, call the telephone support [the install wizard gives you the phone #], and tell the 'robot' on the other end that you changed the motherboard [hey its a true statement], and it will issue a new key, all without ever speaking to a real live person.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Actually I was told my Microsoft Customer Support, that you "own" a license to use XP [or whatever version] on one machine, there was no stipulation as to how it was purchased [retail vs oem], as long as the one machine was disabled or decommisoned, the OS could be installed on another, as long as you have the proper product key.

So yes, you can use an OEM install disk with the proper product ID code, and if it says that the install count has been exceeded, call the telephone support [the install wizard gives you the phone #], and tell the 'robot' on the other end that you changed the motherboard [hey its a true statement], and it will issue a new key, all without ever speaking to a real live person.

I think that may be true for a license you purchased retail or OEM, I am talking about the bundled software however that is preinstalled on a machine, which is neither retail nor a standalone OEM but a third breed of cat.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

"Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines."

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I think that may be true for a license you purchased retail or OEM, I am talking about the bundled software however that is preinstalled on a machine, which is neither retail nor a standalone OEM but a third breed of cat.

http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/YourPC_do.mspx

"Another common misconception is that you can transfer a preinstalled or OEM copy of Windows from an "old" machine to a new machine. An OEM software license may not be transferred from and old machine to a new machine—even if that machine is no longer in use. The OEM license is tied to the machine on which it was originally installed and can't be transferred to other machines."

If there's anything worse that using Microsoft software, it's unserstanding all the variations and implications of MS licensing. :p

It recently got more complicated since the the latest rev or the OEM licenses EULA (System Builder's License) now requires "preinstallation" which then makes this seem to apply to all OEM licenses.

However, there is no one true answer to this. MS can do what they please and can often let you (seemingly) violate their own EULA. YMMV, IANAL etc... etc...

There's a reason Apple recommends only full retail licenses that are on one disc.

Finally, don't forget that for OEM licenses your support path is to the OEM, not Microsoft so ask Dell if it's OK to transfer your license. :p

B

surfstarchris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Wow. About the only thing I'm getting from the above replies is that Microsoft is the most bass-ackwards OS there is.

What about if I download Microsoft XP w/ Service Pack 2 from like BitTorrent...

Could I burn that onto a CD and then run Boot Camp... then when Boot Camp asks me for the XP CD I just insert that one?

What do you guys think?

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
Wow. About the only thing I'm getting from the above replies is that Microsoft is the most bass-ackwards OS there is.

What about if I download Microsoft XP w/ Service Pack 2 from like BitTorrent...

Could I burn that onto a CD and then run Boot Camp... then when Boot Camp asks me for the XP CD I just insert that one?

What do you guys think?

You could do that, but you would be breaking the law, and that violates MR rules. :D

I would just attempt to install bootcamp with the discs you have, assuming all the liscensing checks out. The bootcamp installation will stop you if something goes wrong, but it won't like, blow up or anything. Worth a shot.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I would just attempt to install bootcamp with the discs you have, assuming all the liscensing checks out. The bootcamp installation will stop you if something goes wrong, but it won't like, blow up or anything. Worth a shot.
And if Microsoft will let you install and activate whatever you've managed to install, you're in about as good shape as you can be.

That said. If you don't know what you are doing, and what can go wrong, please do yourself (and the rest of us) a favor and just spend the $200 and buy yourself a full fresh retail license of XP Home or Vista Home Premium and install in Boot Camp from that.

B

paddy

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2005
TN
Check your bookstore? Remember that ideally you want a full retail (not upgrade) license and media.

B

Ideally? Does that mean you can run an upgrade pack as full working OS if you didnt have it before?

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
No, then it wouldn't be an upgrade, it would be retail.

It is certainly possible to use XP upgrade media, as I did on my iMac, but it requires you to:

1) Have a legally transferable license (of 95, 98 or 2K) to install on your Mac and qualify for the upgrade.
2) Provide an external CD-ROM or tweak the install CD to make it work without an eject button.

Since it doesn't work "out of the box" and requires you to do some of your own legwork, Apple does not recommend such installs.

B

barr08

macrumors 65816
Aug 9, 2006
Boston, MA
It is certainly possible to use XP upgrade media, as I did on my iMac, but it requires you to:

1) Have a legally transferable license (of 95, 98 or 2K) to install on your Mac and qualify for the upgrade.
2) Provide an external CD-ROM or tweak the install CD to make it work without an eject button.

Since it doesn't work "out of the box" and requires you to do some of your own legwork, Apple does not recommend such installs.

B

Doesn't that still make it an upgrade?

surfstarchris

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 2, 2007
Both my and my friend's University offer full XP home for $10. You may find that you're in luck!
Hmm. I just checked my bookstore, and its FULL PRICE for me. :mad:

So... wanna be a champ and go get me a copy from yours? :D

PM me if you would be willing.

Thanks.

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
Dude, you just don't get it.

We do not do piracy here at MR.

Off-sales or transfers of University Site License software is prohibited by the university's license with MS. The student is not buying the software, they are getting the media to use one copy of the University's software under the University's serial number while they attend that uni only.

Bittorrent as you were asking about earlier is not legal either. Neither is using an upgrade disk when you don't have an earlier version license, nor using a restore disk from a PC that came bundled.

If your uni does not offer a reduced price for students, sorry. Suck it up and pay the price offered to you for the software you plan to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.