Instant Handbrake 5 fps normal?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by slackersonly, Aug 11, 2006.

1. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

In researching options for putting a dvd movie on my ipod video, i was pointed to instant handbrake.

I tried it first on a the file created after mac the ripper and instant handbrake is running at an amazing slow 5 fps! 3 hours 20 minutes to go!

Is this normal?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

What sort of Mac do you have?

3. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

duh. sorry.

iMac 20 core duo 1.5GB ram.

No other app running (well quicksilver).

4. XIII macrumors 68040

XIII

5. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Something wrong then, is Instant Handbrake universal?

Just use Handbrake (not Instant Handbrake), it's definitely Universal and most people report ~23fps on H.264 encoding and up to 60fps using MPEG-4.

Except Laslo of course whose Mac Pro does 65fps in H.264 :eek:

6. gnasher729 macrumors P6

gnasher729

Either you have an old PowerPC version, or something is very wrong with your machine. 1.83 GHz MacBook rips H.264 at about 23 frames per second, direct from DVD, and that is the hardest you can do. You know how to check whether an app is universal or not?

7. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

to determine universal/rosetta check through info right?

i am doing it from a Video TS folder created by MacTheRipper of Grey's Anatomy Season 1.

8. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, that's right.

Try ripping with the regular version of Handbrake straight from the DVD, skip using MacTheRipper (you don't really need to use that unless the DVD is giving you trouble).

Handbrake has more options and encodes to more formats, you can queue up titles to rip TV episodes individually from the DVD so that once you're all queued up you can just hit "rip" and walk away, the episodes will be ripped one by one till they are done.

5fps is about normal for my G4 so I'm jealous of you guys with your Intel Macs.

9. slackersonly thread starter macrumors 6502a

slackersonly

Thanks everyone.
    I will give regular Handbrake a try.