Instant mania (12" iBook)

Discussion in 'Switch Stories' started by raketen_mensch, Oct 9, 2003.

1. macrumors newbie

Oct 9, 2003
    Deep in the redwoods, San Narciso, CA
    I needed a cheap laptop, and just hated to pay the M$ tax. Besides, nothing I saw looked very solid. So I went to the Apple store, figuring I'd buy what they had and put Linux or *BSD on it.

I left with the lowest-spec iBook they had. It would be fine for email, probably it would run X11 okay, so I expected to just get rid of the Mac OS and put on Linux.

However, I'd never tried OS X.. The last time I had anything to do with a Mac it was with the ex-wife's PowerBook running OS 8 (I think), and I could not abide it. I tinkered with OS X - and found that -this- Mac OS, I could use. There was a CLI and a real file hierarchy. However, I could not figure out -how to install a program- in the GUI. I was launching programs from the disk images and leaving the images on the desktop. One of the Mac gurus at work helped after he stopped laughing.

The iBook did everything I wanted, and then I tried plugging my camera into it. When it not only launched iPhoto but correctly identified the camera and offered to unload it, I was astonished. And pleased.

The more stuff I tried, the more stuff worked. The OS has never hung, panicked or given me a moment's trouble. All the *BSD programs I'm used to, build fine and work right. Most of the Mac freeware I've tried worked right, too.

So - now I am hooked. KDE looks clunky and feels worse in comparison, even when it has the benefit of a real keyboard and multiple-button mouse.

My only regret is that I bought the cheap-seats iBook. I'm having real trouble not going right out and getting a G5, since even when I'm home the computer I use the most is the iBook. I have never been so delighted with a computer.

2. macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!

This is great news, and it explains why Windows users aren't fleeing to Mac OS X in droves. They simply don't know that it's better. They hear that Apple has released a "revolutionary OS" and they think, Windows XP is a "revolutionary OS" and it's just the same recycled crap thats ben tumbling since Windows 3.1 and so they don't realize that Mac OS X really is that different. Great to hear though that another Windows user has "seen the light!"
  3. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    awesome story man. So glad to hear that it's working out so well for you. One of the great things about OS X is that it allows people who really know what they are talking about (as it seems you do, at least in general - you'll learn OS X fast I'm sure! :) ) a whole lot of control.

Panther should be even better - apparently much faster, some very cool new features, probably even more stable eventually (though I've never had the slightest problem with Jag.) Welcome!
  4. macrumors regular

Sep 26, 2003
    Olympia, WA
    I think he said pretty clearly that he was already a Linux/BSD user, and had abandoned Windows on his PC already.

A more apt description might be: "Another KDE user has seen the light" -- while KDE has made some good progress in recent years, it doesn't hold a candle to the OSX UI.
  5. macrumors 65816

Mar 10, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Hey now, a switcher is a switcher. Let's not shoot the gift horse in the mouth. :D

And congratulations, iBooks are awesome - If you want to upgrade, just sell your iBook on eBay or PowerBookCentral (or here) through in a couple hundred extra bucks, and get the 900MHz, ComboDrive, 60GB, 12" model. It rules.