Instant Messaging

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mms, Oct 13, 2003.

1. mms macrumors 6502a

What application do you use for instant messaging? I'm guessing iChat would be the most popular, this being a mac user forum, but I find iChat to be too fancy and with unnecessary features. The little bubbles and stuff on the IM windows just annoy me.

I currently use Adium, and I like how simple it is. But I know there are other choices out there, like Proteus and Fire that I haven't tried yet. How good are those other apps? Since I only use AIM, I don't need something that connects to MSN and IRC, so I haven't tried those.

2. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Instant Messaging

So turn off the bubbles :). What pisses ME off about iChat is that it succesfully sends a file maybe one time in three.

3. mms thread starter macrumors 6502a

I didn't know you could turn off bubbles. Would that be under general preferences? And if you do, would it look just like a regular IM window? Or will it still have the icons?

4. howard macrumors 68020

howard

adium rocks!!

i've been using the adium 2 alpha for awhile now..its coming along great...

soon it will use libgaim and you'll get to use just about any im service under the sun...plus a million other features... i can't wait!

5. Arielle macrumors member

Is there an app that can cover all of them?

Hey- I doubt it, cos they're all competing with each other, but

Is there a chat app that you can run that funnels all your buds from MSN, Yahoo, AIM, etc into ONE program?

That would be groovy.

6. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yes there is...

gaim can do that...and pretty soon adium will be able to...

also check out proteus and fire

but really adium is the best and when version 2 comes out it'll be amazing...i'm using the alpha right now...check it out here:

http://adium.sourceforge.net/index.php?page=download

7. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

i use ichat when i know there is someone on rendevous i want to talk to, and adium or fire otherwise. they both work pretty well.