instant messengers hang

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by iBlue, Jun 1, 2005.

1. iBlue macrumors Core

iBlue

...and will NOT sign in, not a single one of them :mad:

it has finally gotten my knickers in a bunch and now I have to ask. I could not find an answer with the search.

I did not have a problem before the 10.3.9 update (no, I don't have Tiger, and that is not a viable option for me right now) mostly I use Yahoo [puke] because all my wanker friends use that steaming pile of dung! I tried downloading Adium and it would not work either. All IM applications simply hang. Come to think of it, so does finder occasionally, which is a totally new problem. I hate that update.

I ran OnyX - no cigar.

any ideas what the [beeeeeeeeeeeeeeep] is happening, and bonus: how do I solve this problem?

Thanks...

2. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

finder will hang with you have your background change automatically sometimes.

my bet is it isn't the IM application that are causing the problem rather another problem that you percieve the IM application is causing. install anything else recently? what is running in the background?

3. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

4. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

computer is in my profile, sorry - insomnia catching up to me, wasn't sure how relevant the info was since I mentioned my OS...

it's a 1.5 ghz Powerbook G4 with 512 RAM and OS 10.3.9

I haven't installed anything other than fonts lately, the background is not auto-changing, just a large jpeg - but I tried putting a default background a while back for the heck of it and it didn't seem to change things. OnyX didn't catch anything (ran it a few times since the problem began) and I don't recall changing anything that would affect such a thing.

dang, I was hoping to hear "oh that is just ___ so do this ___ and everything will be super-neato-nifty-blah blah blah again" BUGGER!

thanks - help is always appreciated

EDIT: wow, told you I am tired - background - haha... I will do a screenshot of my activity monitor

5. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

screenshot:

[​IMG]

not much running, I am a bit surprised by the lack of free space I have though, geez

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think you've gotta include the inactive memory too.

7. iBlue thread starter macrumors Core

iBlue

edited out dumb question.

do wish this problem could be solved though, it's a bit frustrating at times. I moderate a forum full of "needy" people and they are a bit perturbed that I am only reachable by email, private message or phone (told you they were needy :D) only a few of them know my number so the others like to interrupt what I am doing with a bloody IM [haha]
    it's annoying but apparently a semi-necessary evil.

thanks for replying

8. LaMerVipere macrumors 6502a

LaMerVipere

If I have AOL Instant Messenger open for too long, or my friends are sending me a bunch of photos, AIM is really sluggish and I have to quit it and open it again in order to smooth things out. If I don't, it doesn't even show text as I type, it takes a couple seconds to pop up on the screen. And don't even try resizing or moving windows.