Instant Messengers [Poll]

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by AmbitiousLemon, Apr 17, 2002.

?

What Instant Messenger Network do you regularly use?

1. AOL Instant Messenger [AIM]

17 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. MSN Messenger

9 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yahoo! Instant Messenger

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  4. ICQ

4 vote(s)
    14.8%
  5. Excite Instant Messenger

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. Jabber

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  7. IRC

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  1. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

Hello all. There is another post here aasking for a macrumors chat room. and the discussion around that got me wondering what instant messengers everyone is using.

since there are tons of clones i decided to stick to what instant messenger network you use. so i use Adium so i would answer that i use the aol instant messenger network.

so the choices are;
    1) AOL Instant Messenger (AIM)
    2) MSN Messenger
    3) Yahoo! Instant Messenger
    4) ICQ
    5) Excite Messenger
    6) Jabber
    7) IRC

also be sure to note you can select multiple choices since many of us use several messengers on a regular basis.

and while you are at it why not let us know in your post what client you are using because if you are running osx and use aol your absolutely MUST use adium, its simply hands down the best.

2. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

I use ICQ and msn messenger, simply because that's what most of my friends at uni use :)

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

i don't use any messenger at the moment...
    i'm using a PC now, waiting for the new TiBooks to come out. as soon as i have it i'll be able to set everything up the way i want, without the risk of losing everything when my PC crashes!:D

4. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i agree, adium is simply the best

hopefully it becomes more feature-enriched... i'd like to be able send files/look at buddy icons (optional of course)

maybe even warn people...i hate it when they warn me & i can't warn them back

i also really wish i could see people's away messages...but according to documentation that is not possible because aol is keeping that technology a "secret"

you must give adium a try--it's really really nice & simple

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

my ISP is AOL...so I've been using AIM all along...

I also have MSN & ICQ...MSN isn't so bad...bit I simply cannot stand how ICQ works...

I just wish the file transfer feature would work in AIM for X... :(

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

no instant messenger for me, you should change you poll to add that as a voting option.

I just never got caught up in IM, it wasn't around when I was in school, we just had 'chat' on the Unix machines. That was pretty much the same thing, except it was only between two people. And even then, we didn't use it all that much.

Showing my age I guess.

7. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

what is your msn id? mine is shripmnseafood. It was supposed to be:shrimpnseafood, but I screwed up:rolleyes:

8. atodd macrumors member

I'm macman867@hotmail.com

I used to use iCQ, but now I think it sucks. I primarily use MSN, because most of my friends use that.

9. macstudent macrumors 6502

macstudent

I think you can download a new os x version of AIM that will work with filetransfers. www.aim.com

hope that helps

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I think up this point my entire internet identity is "eyelikeart"... ;)

11. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

Heh. Same here, except I do use IM now.

Does this look familiar to anyone else?

Message from TalkDaemon@piffle.cs.ubfe.edu...
    talk: connection requested by fred@piffle.cs.ubfe.edu.
    talk: respond with: talk fred@piffle.cs.ubfe.edu

I'll go be old-skool somewhere else now. :)

12. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i had been using the x version of aim but at some point it started doing the rainbow spin on me at sign on... not start up of the app. but sign on... so i unistalled, reinstalled, all of it... and nothing. still does it. i think adium is good, but ocassionally i do need (want?) to get files from my roommate via aim and so i was using it for that... i've dumped all the aim related files and reinstalled... i guess the only thing left is to reinstall os x itself, which of course isn't worth it...

any ideas out there?

13. AmbitiousLemon thread starter Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

no help but on a similiar note. ive had a number of apps suddenly lose certain functions. omniweb lose file transfer, mozilla lose file transfer, adium lose get info. lots of odd things that simply erasing all related files and reinstalling didnt help. wiping the dirve and reinstalling osx did work though. dont know whats up, but at least ur not alone.

14. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

in a way yes, "at least" i'm not alone.. but at the same time, i'd rather be able to claim that MOST people don't have any problems with macs/osx... but yeah, i hear ya. it's somewhat comforting i'm not the only one.

as far as reinstalling os x without erasing a drive... can one just download say the 10.1.3 update and run that again (even already having 10.1.3)? as opposed to starting over at 10.0.4, then 10.1, then the combo update....?

just curious about how that works.