instant messengers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by mac15, May 25, 2002.

?

which instant messenger

1. AIM

11 vote(s)
    40.7%
  2. ICQ

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. Yahoo!

1 vote(s)
    3.7%
  4. MSN

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  5. Other

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

which instant messenger do you use
    I use AIM, Yahoo and ICQ
    and the apps I use are adium and proteus

2. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I use ICQ primarily but am forced to use MSN for some people...Proteus is my app too..

3. j763 macrumors 6502a

I previously used only MSN... but since the announcement of iChat, I've been trying to convert my PC friends from satan to saddam hussain -- that is from microsoft to aol... So now I'm a Proteus user -- despite all its bugs it's the best IM app i've seen.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I use AIM primarily...but I do use MSN to talk to a couple people who are not on AIM...not sure whey they prefer it...what whatever...

I have used Fire also...but I just don't like it all that much to be honest... :eek:

5. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

eye... you need to use adium like all the other cool people!! hehehe... everyone's doing it...

adium is just the best aim client EVER, although it will not be as features rich (and by that i mean allow file transfers & view away messages) as the official aim client or even the new ichat (from what i've seen of it in thinksecret.com), i do believe i will keep using it after jaguar comes out

adium is just awesome

6. SilvorX macrumors 68000

SilvorX

MSN/icq/aim right now
    sometimes use my mac.com addy on aim (rarely tho)

7. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ok...for the sake of open-mindedness....I'll try it out...

want a full report tuesday morning? (monday's a holiday ;))

8. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

ICQ, AIM, and Yahoo. I refuse to get a hotmail account just to get an MSN chat account. If people want to chat, chances are they have at least one of the other three.

I use Fire to run AIM and Yahoo, and the version of ICQ for OS X. I won't be getting any other applications to manage my chat engines, so don't waste your breath... Fire does what I tell it to and doesn't backtalk me. :p

9. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

of course... i'm sure you'll find adium awesome

10. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

ok so far it's fine...

the quawking bird & flapping wings I will have to get used to...he he he;)

so what is so great about this app??

11. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

you can go into the preferences and turn off the sounds (like i have)... i love the way i can customize EVERY aspect of this program... from the dock icon, to fonts that i see when i'm typing my message or receiving messages

my favorite parts, though, are the notifications in the dock, the autologging, the spell checking (since it's a carbon app), and dual window mode (i love tabs!)

hope you play around with the settings

12. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

well kish....if I keep using it...u just may be my IM savior...;)

thanks for the info...I'll see how well I like it...

13. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I had to vote for other, since I don't use one. It would take up even more of my time, MacRumors is bad enough.....

14. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

When i was using instant messengers, i used MSN and ICQ (with a pinch of Yahoo thrown in for good measure). The last time i used any of them was a couple of months ago though. I'd much rather either talk to a person face to face, or just email, than chat. Chat's just seems to turn into meaningless 3-word messages, with no real content. Gets tiresome more than anything else...

15. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

interesting...

when it comes to phone interaction...I'd much rather IM chat...some people just aren't phone people...I'm one of them...

I'd much prefer to talk to some people...anyway....via chat....I should say that phones are a bit more intimate than text on a computer screen...especially if it's a girlfriend or client...

16. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

The phone is a big step up from instant messaging, but i still don't like that much either. I'm not much of a phone person either. If there's something important to talk about, fine. Otherwise it's just wasting money to spend ages on the phone.

I wonder if that has anything to do with the number of international calls i make? :p

17. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

true...but this is why I got rid of my home phone & beefed up my mobile plan...thank god for Sprint PCS...he he he...:D

out of curiosity...just how "international" are the calls u make??

18. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

Well, i'm in germany at the moment ('till the end of June), and most of the people i know are elsewhere. In the past month i've been making calls to Yemen (where my dad works), england (where one of my brothers lives), spain (another brother), mexico (the third one!), america, NZ, Oz and finland.

International enough for you? :D

19. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

wow!

your family is pretty spread out!!!

I'm about to head out of here but I'm curious to find out more about why u are in Germany...and why everyone is elsewhere...

maybe a thread dedicated to locations & such in Community Discussion could do the trick?

20. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

i'll respond to that mit Vergnügen! (wiv pleasure)

21. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

I use MSN when under 10.1.4. I hate Microsoft, but the thing is easy to use, so that is good for the wife. She likes the style of the emoticons under MSN :rolleyes:

Now, under 10.2 WWDC, I am using iChat, and I have to say that it is very nice, and I cannot wait for the final release of it. It should be very interesting to see what unfolds between the current .75 build, and the 1.0 build.

22. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

i guess i don't understand why apple is making ichat... what problem are they "solving"?

with idvd, imovie, itunes, and iphoto they made a certain process simpler... what does ichat offer that other programs don't?

23. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Well, it is easier than most that I have seen, but the neat thing about it is that you can use AIM, or your iTools name. I think it is part of a bigger picture with an iTools pro that has been rumored about.

Can't wait to see.

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

You must have missed the thread a while back when iChat was first announced. As a non instant messenger user, I might actually use this one. With the inclusion of QuickTime6, you'll most likely be able to have instant video chat, that will be amazing and very cool. It will redefine what intant messaging can do, just think of all the possibilities.....

25. kishba macrumors 6502a

kishba

the video chat thing would be cool but is there any sign of this in the current betas?