Insufficient content for edit

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MacBook'06, Dec 6, 2006.

1. MacBook'06 macrumors member

MacBook'06

I have a series of clips and i want to add 'cross dissolve between them. But when i try it says there is: "insufficient content for edit"
    What does this mean? Some of the clips are over 1 minute....
    thanks in advance
    MacBook'06

2. -DH macrumors 65816

It has to do with "handles." Essentially, handles are material before the IN point and after the OUT point of each clip you place on the Timeline. For example, if you have two clips on the Timeline and you want to add a 30 frame transition, that means that the first clip will need 15 frames after it's out point and the second clip will need 15 frames before it's IN point for ther transition to exist.

While it's a little difficult to wrap your head around the concept of handles, once you get it, you'll be breezing along. For more details, look for HANDLES in the FCP manual and help files.

-DH

3. MacBook'06 thread starter macrumors member

MacBook'06

thanks for that... will look into it.
    I actually got around it by dragging the clips apart so they weren't touching, and then adding the transitions, then bringing them together!
    thanks again.

4. AviationFan macrumors 6502a

AviationFan

Basically correct, but depending on the transition, you may need a full 30 extra frames for each of the two clips (such as for a simple blend from A to B), not just 15.

- Martin

5. -DH macrumors 65816

For a thrity frame transition that's centered on the edit, you'll need 15 frames of handle material for each clip. What is "simple blend"? Are you referring to a dissolve?

-DH