Insulting Alienware marketing campaign toward custom builders

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Mav451, Dec 3, 2004.

1. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Jul 1, 2003

People at [H] (a pretty [H]ardcore PC site) think this is a total joke, but I find that is contains some of the same arguments that people use in buying Apple.

That said, if you have even been shopping online in the last 3 years, you will find it extremely difficult to find that kind of case anymore. The Blue Chieftec Dragon case pretty much went mainstream 2 years ago (the same case I have), and its safe to say from that point on, there are no more ugly "beige" cases.

What is more insulting is that case is almost assuredly from the 486 to 686 days, and dare I say, that has some likeness to the PMac 9600 from 1997. And if you consider that Apple cases tended to look better before PC cases, such a PC equivalent would be even older!

*shaking head*

Continuing on, the timeline here has SOME truth:

But only if you are inexperienced. Like I said before, it carries an eerie resemblance to some of the arguments found here.
  2. tech4all macrumors 68040

Jun 13, 2004
    I think computer manufactures that put style into their cases (like Apple and Alienware) use those old biege cases as an extreme. Meaning that there is more contrast between that old style compared to the newer styles. That way its easier to show the difference in styles of their computers.

I think it can be said that Apple would probably agree with that. Course, the guts of a computer is what makes it work not the case. Course if you have a slick looking case as well as good components inside, then thats even better :D
  3. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

Jan 6, 2004
    Cape Cod
    Alieanware does present some good points. The issue with the case thing is bogus, go look at, or and you will see some case that blow Alieanware's out of the water (imo). Personally, I prefer the simple beige case.

Most people I know that are heavily into gaming, build their PC from zipzoomfly or newegg; they don't rely on people like Alieanware, Dell, Compaq, etc. to provide high performance PCs.

And I think that researching and building are one of best parts about owning a custom PC.
  4. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    Very true. But I do enjoy building my own, and not have someone else do it. The building part is the fun, so I don't mind the issues. Sometimes. (Freakin windows is an exception)
  5. angelneo macrumors 68000

Jun 13, 2004
    I love the ease and style of Apple computers and the fact that if something is wrong, I can just send back the whole system during warranty. but at the same time, I get a kick of building my own custom make computers, installing a brand new OS.

Heck, I want my cake and eat it
  6. jtgotsjets macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    About the the only truly valid points (or valid points with any convincing power) are the ones about warranty and support (though I'm not sure it was worth dwelling on for like 67 pages).

I can't believe they claim Alienware is cheaper.
  7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Dec 21, 2002
    Yahooville S.C.
    Guess iam qualified to comment since i own a Alienware. They do have a nice case that holds all kinds of stuff, mine can hold 4 optical drives,2 floppy -why i dont know why? 5 PCi slots,4 gb of memory, and its gigantic and not as loud as my quicksilver 733. My QS has better tolerances for sure the Alienware seems to be built loose on purpose with airflow entering and exiting the case many ways while my QS had pathetic cooling ability cool in and heat out right next to each other while the alienware has cooling from the sides and front with alien ice fans and the back has 2 major exhaust ports. never seems hot even with a 6800GT and 3500+. has a standard 480 watt power supply. So its seems to be pretty nice with a very neat inside. Games are sweet but you do have to deal with Windblows and a very large and expandable case..Nice thing is the 1year warranty which you can extend to 3years (like applecare). so there is my short review of the case which you can have Intel or Amd and choice of videocards and a zillion other options.
  8. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    very few of the thing in there so call argument hold water. Warrently I will give them and yeah it take some trail and error figure out how to get the stuff in. Wire yeah they be neater because I am to lazy to really care I just make sure they are out of the way in my system currently they are all in my other 2 5.25 inch bays.

Lets see the easy of ugrauding it pure BS. It is easier to upgraude a do it you self computer because YOU know what is in there already and you already have the know how on how to take it out and replace it. If you bought it from Alienware you dont know how the stuff went in there or what it what.

For system restore it is call ghosting you drive makes it a lot easier.

The case WTF you can find any nice looking case you want that even look better than alien ware case. Or you can go gentic which the case does what it was designed to do. It gives you freedrom of choice.

Any body who has built there own computer will be massivle instulled by the bull**** they used for advertiment. I realliy tick off about it because I built my own and most of that is bull. most of the time the self built computer work better than alienware computers. plus we have access to all the cheap prices they pay for software though the OEM deals because guess what if you build your own computer you are the OEM.
  9. justinshiding macrumors member

May 7, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    If/when I get around to buying a new desktop ...I will probably go with Alienware. Why you ask....because of their build quality. I've never built a pc, and if I had a lot of free time to troubleshoot one I probably would try to save some money and just build one, but I don't. I like the idea of getting a custom built alienware (were i get to pick all the options) because I know it's going to work. It's like buying an apple, you pay a premium for well built products that companies will stand behind for some period of time. I don't want to have to worry about having to spend hours looking for a decent power supply or researching what ram works well with what motherboard etc. I'll pay more for piece of mind. :)

I'm not sure I agree with what they've specifically stated in their advert, but I try to pay as little attention to advertising as I can and (hopefully) decide based on what's best for me.
  10. TLRedhawke macrumors 6502

Sep 17, 2004
    The marketing is ridiculous. I can get any case I like, whether a stylish piece, or a bland box, at my option, for a low cost. I don't like the Alienware cases. I like a degree of boxiness, with a bit of flair. Also, price matters. I won't pay more than $80 for a case, and even then, it must have a power supply in there. Even if I don't use that power supply, I can keep it around to save me time when I build a box for someone else. The warranty isn't so much an issue as all of the parts have individual warranties on them. So, if my hard drive goes, I can swap it out, then get a replacement from the manufacturer, without sending my computer away to be fixed.

While I do like Apple for style and whatnot, I have no qualms about building a Mac from parts. It's a bit harder to do, but I rather like the challenge. Laptops are the only case where I'll buy instead of build. My G4 PowerBook was all set up and ready. The warranty is a minor point, as I can swap parts out. But, getting a hold of those parts to begin with is the real pain. That being said, I'm constructing a Pismo because I don't need it in any hurry. That, and the Pismo just looks bad ass.
  11. Timelessblur macrumors 65816

Jun 26, 2004
    Well from someone who built there first computer this summer and since then built about 2 more from the ground up it is really easy and the so call trouble shooting is very small. Yeah it takes about a day to get the building and installing all done but really pretty easy. Trouble shooting beyond that is just getting the final setting to what you like beyond that. The only real reasearch that needs to be done is how good is the brand. Basicly the rule to follow is just go with the name brands and you are good. Antec Enthomax for PSU. Corser Cruible, Kingston for the ram, ASUS, EPOX MSI for the mother board and so on. Name brand and you are safe.

It the adveriment that I think is really low. People who have built there own computer are general insulted by this type of adverment and they know how full of BS it is. Is there anything wrong with going prebuilt no. But when the adversment are set up like this it just low. Alienware main compition for there high end computer with the high end parts are the build it your selfers who are going ot use the name brand stuff.

There so call custom building on there site is so BS. It pretty much the same as apple, dell, gateway and so on for the most part. has few extra option that really mean nouthing for the hardware side it the same as Dell or apple. You choose the amont of ram you want, you CPU, HD, Graphic card guess what dell as the exact same thing. diffence is you can choose to upgrade you PSU but you dont need to the starting one more powerful than you will ever need. ANd you can choose you case color. hmmm not any hardware diffence there.

I am just instulted by it adverment how they say build it your self computer are basicly crap and like low end dell computers. I am just really insulted by this line of advertiing
  12. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    this maybe sound dumb and totally off topic, but if you REALLY wanted to, can you build your own mac?!?
  13. solvs macrumors 603

Jun 25, 2002
    LaLaLand, CA
    Yes, but it's pretty difficult and sometimes cost more for a slower machine.
  14. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

Nov 12, 2004
    I've built PC systems for years. If you do the research, your system should come out perfectly. If you don't do your research, and bypass bying top end, quality parts for cheap crappy ones to save a buck, then you deserve what you get in terms of troubleshooting. Newegg is great to buy from as the reviews there on each piece can certainly head you in the right direction. Usually, you can also find out what MB's work well with what cards to ensure a smooth running system. The comment "smooth running" does not include Windows... :D

If I could build a system that ran OS X...I'd be all over that!