Insultingly Stupid Movie Physics

Discussion in 'Community' started by iGav, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Are you trying to tell us that the light saber isn't real? ... Good site though!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Such fun....

After reading through the physics, I read the Core review. Classic.

3. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

A good read. I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one concerned with Hollywood's ability to rewrite laws of physics.

4. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

I've gotta say ... I don't really care.

If the movie is good enough I'm perfectly willing to suspend disbelief for a couple of hours. Heck I just enjoyed a film where a bunch of talking fish run a Whale Wash. Now I'm not up on my biology, but I have a feeling there might be some scientific problems with that.

If the movie's not good enough for me to suspend disbelief, it's got more problems than a little bad physics.

5. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

What bothers me more than movie physics is TV Cop show science.

"Zoom in on that area of the surveillance tape and clean it up!"
    "Let's recreate the crime scene in 3D in 10 seconds!"
    "Let's let CSI's carry a gun and interrogate suspects!"
    "Never turn on the lights at a crime scene, always use a flashlight, even during the day!"
    "We can pull fingerprints from a chewed up banana and run it through a fancy-interfaced database and compare it to everyone's partial toeprint in the country!"

So tired...

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

What I really, like, hate is how everyone magically transports from point A to point B. Like, we see someone get on a plane in London and, like, 2 secs later we see them arrive in Chicago. WTF is up w/that? It's such crap that we don't get to see every minute of the entire transatlantic flight.
    Or, like, we see the timer on a bomb or something and it clearly shows only 3 hours left until it goes off, but less than a hour later when the cops, or who ever, find the bomb it's already down to like 1 minute. That is, like, so stupid.

Movies are, like, so unrealistic they might as well be fake.

:rolleyes:

/sarcasm

I gotta say I agree w/stcanard.

Lethal

7. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Spent a good 25 minutes reading the site, good fun and spot on with the exploding cars myth.

Even if something hot enough came into contact with the petrol, there would only be a "nice" "little" bang. The fire would be bloody hot though.

Must remeber to watch the Core when i get the chance.

8. IndyGopher macrumors 6502a

IndyGopher

While I agree with you in theory, I would prefer that police shows NOT make it seem like the majority of crimes are solved through luck (good on the cop's part/bad on the criminal's), intuition (aka lucky guess), blatant disregard for due process (you hear about judges letting people off on a technicality, you don't hear about the HUGE number of cases where everyone looks the other way), and the complete idiocy of the criminals. Enough people use cop shows as training videos for committing better crimes as it is... let them know how good their odds REALLY are of getting away with it, and things would get worse.

Favorite law enforcement quote: "Every day I thank God that the average criminal is a total idiot"

9. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Gotta love the current forum problems ;)

I've got to say, the absolute best way of dealing with this issue was in "Snatch".

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Peevy..

The Two Towers..

Legolas is shooting arrows at Warg riders, turns towards Rohirim advancing at a gallop towards him from behind, reaches out his RIGHT hand/arm to grab the bridle of the horse, and somehow manages to swing across the horse's chest and up the left side of the horse. Argh!

The rest of the impossibles in the movie I can happily suspend belief in, but this was just too wrong even for my limited intelligence.

11. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Any movie with Vin Disel has incredibly stupid science...

12. takao macrumors 68040

takao

haha that was actually one of those "WTF... i have to watch that again" scenes when watching the DVD i ended up going through every single frame ;)

but hey it's an fantasy movie with elves ... i expected such things...

but even with all those wizards, elvish tricks,magic rings etc. it still is nothing compared to the 'phyiscs stunts' of "armageddon" or "the core"

13. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

A little over zealous there are we LethalWolfe? :D

My pet peve with movies are with things like airplanes, cars, glass, and computers in general.

Like wtf? How can someone just go up to a car window or something, and put their fist through it, and not get a scratch? And I though windows on things like cars weren't suppose to shatter.

And computers, don't even get me started.... like a modem having a d/l speed of 2+ GBs a second, unrealistic OSs (like 3d ones), and especially hacker movies like Hackers and Hackers 2 Operation Takedown.

14. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Ahh, but you see that's what I was talking about. There were larger problems with those movies than unrealistic OS's, which is why you noticed.

OTOH take a hacker movie like "Sneakers", which despite it's flaws in technical accuracy, I quite enjoyed.

15. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

16. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Great site - going to have to rent Seven Years In Tibet - one of the few GP rated films :D

I took their physics test and only got a 80% on it - I'm a bit rusty ;)

D

17. EminenceGrise macrumors member

That's how it's supposed to be - I was rather impressed that they were that consistent with the books. You will also note that in the first movie (Fellowship of the Ring) Legolas does not sink into the snow like all of the others when they are climbing up the pass at Carathras (he walks on the top of the snow). This is from the books too - it's a 'property' of the elves (they are light, but strong). In this case it's not wrong (it is a fantasy after all).

If you want bad physics, watch 'Chain Reaction'. Choice quote: "We're getting more out of it than we're putting in!" Not to mention Keanu Reeves as a physics grad student - GAG ME.

18. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

I did a spit take when I read "The Attractive Force of Glass"

:p

Funny stuff, thanks for posting.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Ummm....

...And never mind.

20. russed macrumors 68000

russed

somebody has far too much free time! quite a fun read though!

21. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

What I do see pretty often is a big guy who doesn't care of a fight with the strongest man in the planet but starts to complain as soon a beautiful lady helps with the injuries... :rolleyes: No Cojones! :p

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Sorry, but when I jump out of an apartment window and into a 10 ft deep pool, I die.

It was funny in the original Star Trek. I've only seen one episode of Star Trek (one time....never saw Next Generation or the other variants), but I saw one fight scene with William Shatner and some other guy. The baddie punches Shatner in the face, he falls to the ground, but then the next shot is focused on Shatner getting off the ground, dizzy as hell, and when he does, you see that his clothing is completely ripped, slashes everywhere, his hair is all messed up, and he's completely dirty. That's just after one good punch! :p

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Got to love editing :D

I think they should have a whole section on just the "A-Team" - even back in the day when I watched that I used to get a little annoyed at all the blowing up and bullets flying, yet no one ever died or got hurt. And a lot of the stunts involved glass as well :D

D