Intego Virus Barrier X4

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by cossie, Sep 2, 2006.

1. cossie macrumors member

Hi all,

I'm been flitting back and forth between getting an MB and MBP or a Dell for the last while, and i had talked myself out of the MB and MBP.

I'm able to avail of my University's special deals with Apple and Dell, so i've been comparing every little detail in each bundle.

I thought Dell would be a lot cheaper, but these University related deals aren't that cheap

Dell comes with a 15 month McAfee Subscription, and we have it on our home PC too.

While i've seen the ads and read the reports - Apple machines aren't affected by as many viruses as PCs - I still want to be protected.

What i was wondering is how does Intego work? If i get it (the Educational discount makes it £40 roughly) will i have to renew my subscription in a certain period of time?

How do i get updates - are they downloadable from an Intego server at regular periods?

Thanks in advance

2. Patch^ macrumors regular

I don't really see the need for Anti Virus software on the Mac, because as far as I know there are no viruses! lol.

My University didn't tell me to get an anti-virus for my mac, because they knew how much safer it is.

OS X has a built in firewall and there are plenty of freeware programs that can scan for viruses and spyware such MacScan and ClamX or somthing.But I use them and when I scan it says everything is clear.

However if you are concerned Intego should be ok, I think it has automatic updates like Nortons (you can get that for the Mac to). If it doesn't then it is likely there is updates on their website.

Hope this helps you in someway :) .

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

They are downloadable monthly, this can be setup to happen automatically too, unless there are actual Mac viruses more frequently (eg with Leap A when they were available the next day), my subscription (on the previous version) has expired, you get a year free when you first buy and then it costs £17 for 1 year extra or £25.50 for 2 years, (at least in the UK).

The only problem I have found is that the program (version X at least, though there seem to be similar problems with X4 too) crashes when it finds a file it doesn't like on Turbo mode (and doesn't say what the file is), it doesn't seem to crash on non-Turbo mode and is still pretty quick.

4. cossie thread starter macrumors member

Patch^, Eraserhead,

Thanks for your replies.

If i don't need to get the anti-virus then cool, it's the paranoia i'm infested with being a Windows user! ;)

5. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

You misunderstand entirely. They're not affected by fewer viruses. They're affected by NO viruses. A virus is simply Windows software... and Mac OS X cannot run Windows software.

Macintosh anti-virus software simply checks any files you get to see if they have Windows viruses... so that you don't send them to your PC friends inadvertently.

6. cossie thread starter macrumors member

Frickin' Swwwweeeeeeet! :)